Dying Blue Spruce - Need advise

Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi - I have a Blue Spruce (about 6 feet tall) that we planted in January. We got it from a friend and the roots, especially the main roots were hacked off very short. Only about a foot left on them.
It seemed like it was doing fine and taking to it's new spot until last week. Now it looks like it is dying. The needles on the branches are turning brown and falling off from the bottom up and it doesn't look like it has any new growth. My husband had put 3 fertilizer stakes around it a few weeks ago.

How can I tell if it is dying (or dead for that matter) and is there anything I can do to save it?
It is a beautiful tree and I would really like to save it!
Thanks!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

If the tree was 6' tall and, whoever dug the tree, only left 1' of roots, the tree is dead/dying. Adding the fertilizer stakes was probably the straw that broke the camel's back. NEVER use fertilizer stakes on any landscape tree/shrub/plant. Before you fertilize any plant in your yard, you need to have your soil tested to see IF you need to add any additional nutrients. In most cases, your soil has plenty of fertility for just about any plant you would add to your landscape.

There is really nothing that you will be able to do to save the tree. Sorry.
My .02
Mike

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I guess Mike's .02 and my .02 makes .04 -- I agree with him. The tree is dead, and probably has been for some time, just like a cut Christmas tree sitting in your living room.

Guy S.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.