Cattleya Blc. Varut Roonkamul

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Just arrived this evening. Dr. Don was kind enough to tell what planting medium it needs and what type of water he uses (rain water). I'm thinking about using a large goldfish bowl and putting gravel in it both for the pot to rest on and to keep it above water (extra humidity). If anyone else has some suggestions that will help me keep this beauty happy in the dry climate of Saskatchewan I'd be very pleased to hear them. Unfortunately I don't have a greenhouse.

BTW is this a bloom stem developing?

Thumbnail by Lilypon
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

That is a new leave developing. The flower (if it produces one) will arise from the base of the leaf where the leave joins the pseudobulb.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

woohoo!

It's exciting that you received it with some new growth appearing.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thank you Todd for IDing the new growth.

Thanks Dr. Don I'm pretty excited too! :)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Todd why did you say "if it produces one?"

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Call me Mr. Negativity! LOL! I used to have Cattleyas and so many times I hoped for a flower but it never happened. I'm now a very bitter person! LOL!

Indianapolis, IN

Lilypon,
When the new growth - or pseudobulb - matures on a cattleya there will often be a "sheath" that will form at the top of the pseudobulb coming out of the junction between the leaf and the fleshy body of the pseudobulb. [There may well NOT be a sheath too!!] This sheath is supposed to mean that flowers will PUTATIVELY be on the way, but time and again the "flower-forming cells" never quite convert over and no flowers are actually produced. (Many reasons...some obscure, some uncertain...) So - it is NOT a certainty that one will get flowers on each new growth. But let us look forwards to the possible flowering of the nice plant you have in your hands!
Cheers,
Raymond.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thanks Raymond I'll try to keep a positive outlook......I knew they were difficult (am thinking now that I know Todd had troubles I might have to buy a tiny indoor greenhouse just for this baby;).

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

A Bombay and tonic toast to an upcoming sheath!

Todd, how about if we just call you. Your experience is such a valuable resource in this forum. I, for one actually count on your input when I post here.

Adhesive tape for all!...lol.
Don

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the vote of confidance Don. In reality, cattleyas are not that difficult to grow and flower IF you have the right conditions. I was not quite warm enough and/or not enough sun, so blooming of my cattleyas was inconsistant. You have to select an orchid that will match your growing conditions. For me, the Oncidium allinace has been very good with regular blooming. The Brassia and warm Miltonias are not best for me, but most intergenerics have a wider tolerance to temps. Phals do reasonably well but I keep them in a warmer room which is not, unfortunately, bright enough for cattleyas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.