delphinium

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

This is my second dephinium to bloom and I really love it. It's close to about 3ft tall, but I've heard these get even taller. I don't know what variety it is. Anyone know?

Thumbnail by emilyrasmus
Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

Not sure of the variety, but it sure is gorgeous! I want to plant some as well, but need a cold snap. Well, MN is cooperating, but I am out of town until this weekend.... hope it stays cold for a few days after I get back.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I'm curious. Why would you need a cold snap for this plant? I bought this and about 6 others only a couple months ago and we haven't had a hard freeze since January.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

That's really nice-makes me jealous! Delphiniums don't like hot summers, so I have to content myself with the annual form, larkspur. I am trying Delphinium grandiflora 'Summer Nights' this year that is supposed to tolerate heat better than the others. I only gets about 2 1/2 feet tall, so I won't get those towering spikes, but I'm at least hoping for some of that striking deep blue in the garden,.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Most of my delphiniums are now blooming. I love the color.

Thumbnail by emilyrasmus
Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Most of my delphiniums are done blooming. Will they rebloom later in the year if I deadhead them?

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, deadhead them now.
They may come back at the end of the summer when it cools down.
How are yours done already? Mine are still going to town. See my delphinium pics in the Blue flowering post.
Carol

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I wonder if mine were done so early because I bought them in gallon-sized containers from the nursery this year. I've noticed other people in my neighborhood have delphiniums that are still blooming.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, mine are from me planting them in the early spring of 2004.
Yes, that is why you are done early then. The plants were blooming much earlier in the nursery.
Next year, your's will be normal then, just like everyone's.
Carol

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

emily - you're not done! Beauty of delphiniums is that after the first bloom and you see some new growth at the bottom, cut them down to about 4" and give them a healthy feeding.

They'll regrow and give you a second bloom, just not as tall as the first round. Start whacking!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

8ftbed,
Yes, I forgot that they have a second bloom. You are so right!

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

how often do they have a second bloom? I'm trying to decide if I should try to collect seeds or deadhead them.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

how often? Well, 2 blooms a year if you cut them down after the first and then be sure and feed them well. You could leave the next set of bloom stalks up and take seeds from them.

South Easton, MA(Zone 6b)

Loving my delphinium, unfortunately can't remember which is which. Bought every variety I could find

Thumbnail by pradamary
Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

That shade of blue is one of my favorites. Out of the 7 or 8 I bought, only got one that color. I found I had to stake some of mine after they flopped over during the rain.

South Easton, MA(Zone 6b)

I had to stake some of mine too, especially the pink one, it's very leggy. I used to live in portland, lovely there. I miss it. Great place to garden. Mary

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

My pink one flops too. It is very leggy also. The lighter blue one seems to be not as strong as the deep blues and purple delph. But they are stil very pretty even staked up.
Carol

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I have one dark purple that sent up a main 3" stalk and 4 side shoots full of flowers. I've noticed bumblebees frequent the flowers.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh - here's a cheap fix for the delphs. Get those cheap wire cages sold at most grocery stores etc. for tomatoes (pffffft, such a joke) I cut out the bottom ring or two depending on it's size. Then when you cut them back for the 2nd flush or in the fall, put a cage over each clump. They'll grow through and you won't even see the cage plus they mark the spot in the fall. I leave them up all the time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.