how do i get plants to scootch to the trellis's

West Hills, CA

first time i have built 2 big verticle trellis ( just like bartholomews pipe and string )

I have 2 melon and 2 winter squash and 1 crookneck ( which i understood to be trainable)

i think i planted to far in front of trellis..about 2-3 inches...they are growing...big leaves..how do move central stem..or reach it over to the strings....

thanks..do i need to send picture..i can

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Okay since no one else wants to give it a shot. My non-expert opinion is that when the plant gets larger you will be able to scootch (love that word) them over to the trellis. Hopefully your squares in the trellis are large? It might be easier to wait til you have a fruit and rest that limb up the trellis.

I have not seen a trellised crookneck though.....

Hope that made sense as I was picturing it in my head.

-Kim

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Sometimes when I have the problem like you are describing I take a string or small piece of wood and let it begin climbing on it until it gets to the larger structure...tie the string to the structure...or rest the piece of wood on it...especially good for things that want to have something to cling to...

A picture would be nice if you have one!

Margie

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Picturelady's suggestion is a good one; I've also used that bit of help for vines. I was wondering about the crops, though. Melon fruit can be heavy and pull on the vine to the point it will try to separate and fall off. If the weight of the fruit begins to strain its connection to the vine, you can make a sling for it that ties to the trellis. Old panty hose or old tee shirt fabric (some stretch is useful) will work.

West Hills, CA

I was thinking about making a "mini support" guided to the larger as suggested. Will give it a try. I think I didnt make my spacing big enough...oops..the butternut squash leaves are giant!! The melon plant is puny and not growing...maybe its waiting for something

I think i will need to move that crookneck...I researched here and other forums and was advised crooknect is a vining variety...its not gonna work between the melons etc..

All that work!! humph!!

THanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.