Chimera and Doxa

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I've seen pics of these intermediates on DG--and am so taken w/ them, but when I look for someplace to order them, I am stumped! Can anyone direct me to an iris grower who has them?
Many thanks......

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Laurief has Chimera, she might be up for a trade. You also might look on the trade lists for Doxa. Superstition Iris doesn't have them - I checked.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I bought Chimera from Superstition Gardens. It's in their historic listings.

Sorry, but I lost it in my garden.

This message was edited May 12, 2005 3:35 PM

Laurie & Doss--thanks
does Superstition have a website?--or just a catalog (don't have one)--can't spot them on the web.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Riverview sells Doxa:

http://www.riverview-iris-gardens.com/listDB.htm

Superstition has a photo site online, but in order to order from them, you have to request a catalog:

randrcv@sierratel.net (I think)
http://community.webshots.com/album/119364712BMqeMl/1

ohhhh wow....I hadn't seen Riverview's listing. I keep a list of names of irises that catch my eye--I'll have to look it over and see which iris garden offers the greatest number off my wish list--I want to place only one order--except for my siberians from Iris City Gardens. And to think this all started w/ IB, John--which I'll add to my garden in memory of my Dad. Thanks for these references Laurie. Have you received good orders from Riverview? They have mixed reviews in watchdog.
Thanks again....

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I've never ordered from Riverview. Sorry.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sorry, I was looking in Superstition's Intermediate listing. They do have 'Chimera' on their list for $3.00. However 'Doxy' wasn't there. But I'll bet if you look through their photos of historic iris you will find something that you love. 'Brown Lasso' is a border bearded that you might like. (it's butterscotch and violet). Are you looking for an intermediate, an historic, or color - or all. Don't we want it all?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You might like intermediate 'Splat'. It has the same sort of colors as the iris you liked.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/270791899/270797038SOzVBa

Yes, I did find--with Laurie's help too--Superstition has Chimera and Riverview has Doxa. With Riverview's extensive list, I suspect they have others on my "lovely list" and may try an order with them...altho they have mixed reviews in watchdog. Its the colors that grab me a lot--I saw Splat--its now on my list! I like the soft blended quality in some of them (Jungle Shadows too)--reminds me of watercolors. And I stay away from the TB's---too tall and too much flower for me--I like the simpler blooms, so that leads me toward IB's and BB's alot and some historics. For now I'll do one order for irises, so I'll place an order where I can get a nice mix of irises off my list...and carry the rest over to next year's options. Otherwise....ordering from 5 or 6 places....would be over the top for me--although very intoxicating and fun!
Thanks for your help with this!

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

mid -americiagarden .com

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's another that you might like. It has those same mysterious colors that you seem to like.

Gaelic Jig, Blythe 1999

http://www.napairis.com/showiris.php?name=GAELIC%20JIG&subject=Choose%20One&Type=&Pattern=&colour=&bloom=&Letter=&hybridizer=&yr1=&start=112

Seattle, WA(Zone 8a)

I've got Chimera, but it's the first year to bloom and I only have one flowering stalk. It's really pretty, and when it gets bigger I'd be happy to share.......

Doss--beautiful shading on Gaelic Jig.....as a total contrast Drady caught my eye too.

Tazzy....mid-america...thanks for reminding me of them........some charming SDB's.....yikes

Turtletu....enjoy your bloom--and keep me in mind if it does well for you...by then I may have some nice ones to trade--I'm just starting to add named beardeds.

Thanks all!

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Mudgirl, I just saw jungle shadows today at iriscitygardens. A "Must Have" for me!They have some of the other kinds of iris also. I like the mysterious and unique color blends also. What's blooming for you now? I've only got Gnu Rayz in bloom, and clear morning sky budding up...I am a watercolor artist, and irises fascinate me as a sorce of painting inspiration!

Its Jungle Shadows awesome! I am envious of your visit to ICG! I ordered from them for the first time last year(beardless), and almost have my order for this year completed--I like their selection of siberians and found them to be nothing less than wonderful in helping me w/ my order. Is it stunning there?
I only have a couple SDB's blooming. We just came out of a week of cool rainy weather....everything is stuck in limbo.
Ah watercolor flora....one of my faves! We have a regional artist...Jean Accola (www.accolagallery.com) she does wonderful watercolor of plants/flowers/etc.
Gnu Rayz seems like another good one....I am just beginning to add named beardeds--maybe we can trade some in a couple years. I lean toward the earthy blended tones...and prefer less height and ruffles of IB's and some historics.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

If you appreciate subtle, moody irises, you must acquire PILGRIMS' CHOICE (SDB). It doesn't look like much in photos, but it absolutely mesmerized me last year when it bloomed. It's calming, almost hypnotic effect isn't something I'll soon forget.

Laurie

Looked up the photo in plant files (yours).....yeah, that's just what I like.
Its on the list!
Thanks Laurie~

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

MudGirl:
I didn't actually GO there, just over the web, which is where I do most of my traveling lately. The name of that artist is familiar....Where is Eau Claire County? We are in Northeast Iowa, right across the river from Prairie du Chien WI.

Caitlinsgarden--EC Co is in northwestern WI...although at the south end of that area. I'd say Eau Claire (the city) is about 150 mi from PdC....picture north and then a bit west. EC is also 90 mi E of Minneapolis. Does that help?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

MudGirl:
I'm signed up for a work shop with Riana in a town near you. Have you heard of her? She does WONDERFUL mosaic cement garden sculptures. I think the town is Beldenville. I'm looking forward to doing some garden sculpture in the future.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.