CLOSED: Unknown Beetle

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

This ugly guy was on one of my brugmansias. I didn't see damage but I didn't look closely. What is it??

Thumbnail by CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Hmm... thats weird. I only have one potato and it's in a pot on the deck. No damage there.

Will systematic go into the flower's nectar? I don't want to harm any pollinators but I want to avoid insect damage to my brugs.

Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

Just pick them off if there are only a few. If your not excited about handling them, put on rubber gloves and perform "surgery". We've also used a solution made of vegetable oil, dish soap, tobasco, and water. Spray it on the plants and on the bugs.

We get them regularly. We haven't had a potato in this yard for 15 years. They love to attack datura's also. Picking them off and dumping them in soapy oil water is the best way to get rid of them.

There is also the BT fix....a biopesticide product based on the bacterium Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) is available. M-One™, made from B. thuringiensis ssp. san diego, is genetically engineered (read: geeks in lab coats producing scary stuff to potentially kill us all) and therefore is not allowed in certified organic production. Novodor™, contains B. thuringiensis ssp. tenebrionis, a form of Bt that is not genetically engineered. That one can technically be used in an organic scenario.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.