Wisteria: Help Needed & Question...

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

I received this most beautiful large cutting of wisteria ..At least 3 ft..How do I go about planting this up??It has 4 rooting areas along the length..Can I make 4 plants out of it??Or should I counter sink the whole length except the end???The other thing is what is the best to hold this up as it grows metal or wood??
Thank-You
Ingrid
Ü

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Ingrid, wisteria cuttings can be difficult to root. I think how much trouble you will have depends upon what type you have. I have rooted wisteria hard wood in water before, and I am currently trying to root some soft greenwood cuttings in jars of water also. Yes, you should cut your cutting into cuttings which are between six and eight inches. You should cut just below a node. You won't have to worry about support for a couple years yet, but, yes, a strong support will eventually be needed. Wood tends to deteriorate over time so metal is better.

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

Clare_CA
Thanks, for your help!! My long length which I received has 3 or 4 areas of roots along the stem..this is where I thought I could cut them in divisions,and plant them up.
Ingrid

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Ingrid, that is a good sign if you see roots along them stem. Yes, cut below them and plant them.

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

Clare_CA
Thank-you greatly!!
Ingrid

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.