mexican flame vine

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

this vine grows well, too well sometimes. I did cut it way way back this year so it would not take over the grapes.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

OH> You had to put that there just to tease me! That was my MUST have item this year. I found it at a local plant sale and bought one. I checked it just an hour ago, no flowers, but there IS new foliage! A friend of mine had one last year, and I fell in love with it.

We are waiting for it to take over! Wishful thinking! That makes me want to tour thru Florida just to see the flora!

mel

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Such a beautiful flower!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Yes, it was on my 'most wanted' list, too. I bought one in a 3" pot from an online source, and the darned thing died within a week. I only wish our local sources would get some in.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Do I need to root some for you?

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Kay-
I've got some rooted ones in all sizes if you'd like to trade?
-T

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

If your in florida and it's blooming now, I guess I have to wait a bit for blooms ha? I have two of them one outside and one growing in the rafters of the greenhouse, I figured it would have blooms by now. but I don't really see any yet, i'm patiently waiting and watching daily LOL

Kathy-
It should start to bloom when it gets HOT. In 7b that should be pretty soon...lol..
-T

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

LOL it's scorching here, i'm dying, sweating, ready for air condition, but I know it will really kill me to turn it on if I have to go out into the heat and still work, so I'm not quite ready to turn it on and quit working outside yet LOL. glad to know i'll have blooms soon, it's a sauna in the greenhouse. even with a commercial fan and 6 big windows open

Dallas, TX

would this vine be the same as the Brazillian Flame flower? I ordered this bulb from Breck and I think I have it in the wrong place. Please Texans tell me where you have it growing. is it a climber or a wanderer?
Sylvia

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Mine is growing so big and beautiful in one of my indoor fountains....I'm afraid to pot it up and move it for fear of losing it. Oh what to do, what to do.

Sedrick-
It is a climber and blooms best in hot baking sun.
-T

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

It's very pretty! I haven't bought one this year....so far.
:) Donna

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I finally got one at a local nursery, and it's just starting to bloom. Yours is very lovely - thanks for sharing!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks. I just moved mine today. It was hidden behind a butterfly bush, and didn't get enough sun.... he should be happy now! I just love this plant!

Tell me, when should I prepare to take cuttings, and exactly what should I do with them, to prepare to keep them inside over the winter? I know it's too early, of course, but I just want to be sure to get this one going early next spring!

mel

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Mel, I have rooted cutings and it is very easy. I just cut off a piece, use rooting hormone and stick in a pot.

Dallas, TX

Lawd! I need to move mine! Its underneath the Bluebird! My plant came in the form of a bulb and I dont know if I can find it! its just one vine that is withred and turning yellow! help me!
Sylvia

Melanie-
They are super easy to root, and will root in a glass of water...
-T

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.