Finding Iris's to put in my new hedge of lilies and iris's??

Lyndonville, VT

Ok let me tell you what I did on mothers day:)LOL no resting for me!!!!!!! My dad came down and made me two flower beds -really nice looking- my husband and teenage sons helped make it- I will have to add top soil and compost and transplant the plants in there as we are raising it up. Anyhow- they all came with a new daylily- and I have been buying like mad on the internet too:)

My family also hired a landscaper for a consult and she told us to make a hedge across my lawn full of daylilies and Iris's. So I have plenty of lilies but need some Iris's. I am new to Iris's so have none to trade.. I def can pay for postage and will post here once I have enough to start sharing with others here:)

So if you have extra and are looking for new homes for them, let me know.

thanks

Karen

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I don't know your zone, but because Daylilies like quite a bit of water, you might consider siberians. I can grow daylilies and beardeds here together because it's very dry. There might be some cultivars that people have in mind that would work. People are trading siberians now. There is a thread here, but you can go to the trading forum and see.

I can't grow siberians here because it's too hot. But they sure are beautiful.

Hopefully I'm totally wrong. I'd try contacting Tazzy. She has years of experience with all sorts of Iris. She'll probably show up here anyway, but I'd send her an email.

Lyndonville, VT

How do I find Tazzy?? I am in zone 4b. I dont have anything to trade though as I am starting out though.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I can send you a fan of Ritz and a fan of Artic Fancy for postage now. I have them dug and haven't gotten them transplanted because we got snow this morning.

Later on, when it dries up and I can work outside again, I may be dividing some more iris too. I'm in the process of moving a bed that's been taken over by grass. Otherwise I wouldn't be digging my iris this time of the year. It's really not a good time to move them, because you won't get blooms from them, but I had to make a decision whether to leave them until later when the grass is more unmanagable, or do it now and sacrifice the blooms.

Later on after they bloom, some more people may be dividing theirs.

Send me your address, and I can get the Ritz and Artic Fancy out to you. You can mail me the postage when the box arrives.

Lyndonville, VT

Thanks sooo much. just put a reminder in the package to send back postage as I am buying a bunch of plants..:)

Karen Powers
14 pine ridge circle
lyndonville vt 05851

thanks

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's tazzy's page in DG. You can send an email from there.

http://davesgarden.com/members/tazzy/

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Karen, did you receive the iris I sent? I've sent two reminders, but I haven't heard from you or received the postage reimbursement? Please, please, let me know.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Preceeding advice is very good. Do not plant bearded iris amongst your daylilies. Bearded iris want their rhz. to bake in the sun all summer, even if you cover them up for the winter. They do not want to be shaded by daylilies. Secondly, they want far less water than hems. Sibs on the other hand, along with japanese iris (JIs) can handle as much water as you want to give them, although they do not want to be in water.

Inanda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.