Bulbophyllum medusae Care

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

My orchids look okay, nothing wrong yet! :) I'm feeding weakly weekly with 18-18-18 and superthrive and it's in a sunny window. It's in a moisture retentive mix, but nothing decomposable so the roots can breath while remaining moist. I also mist it daily and have it on a humidity tray between some other orchids so it's getting as much humidity as it can in my house. The temp is over 72... usually.

As I said, it's doing okay but what actual documented care should I follow? I couldn't find a care sheet or much care info on the net.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Michelle,
I don't own that particular plant, so I am reluctant to speculate on exact growing tips. Besides, everybody has different set ups. But I can perhaps share some personal observations/notes growing my Bulbos/ Cirrhopetalums.
I grow them in baskets, on bark, in tree fern ring, never in a pot. In general - I flood them every day, ( mostly twice a day) but they drain freely essentially on the floor into trays ( some drain into Coleus, a large Rabbit foot fern, Geraniums on the floor). I have good air circulation. I would think that water quality is very important, as mentioned many times. My minimum temperature is set to 62 F inside. ( Soon they all go outside and NJ Summers are tropical.) Daytime minimum in Winter is 70 F. Right now the temp goes around noon into the eighties with the fan starting up. The greenhouse is very bright, so I keep my Bulbos/Cirrhos slightly shaded by other plants, but some still get hit by a good amount of filtered sunshine, light levels are perhaps somewhat similar to that for Phals.
In generally nowadays, when I get a new Bulbo I start them out in a more protected spot on the lower light levels, watch them for a few days or weeks, then move them to a slightly brighter location or leave them there. Cirrhopetalum Elizabeth Ann 'Buckleberry' will drop its leaves with too much light. It blooms perfectly fine with lesser light. Bulbo lobbii needs brighter light, or the new growth rots. Cirrho putidum quit sulking only after I moved it to a brighter location and used rain water.
I simply have to try them out in each location and watch them.
Growing LOTS of plants grouped strategically together helps, one can give them their own micro climate/ keep up the humidity levels around certain plants. I like to use a lot of scented Pelargoniums for the purpose of slight shading and moisture retention, I move them around where needed.

Perhaps others might add to this?

Ursula

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

and an interesting link
http://www.geocities.com/brassia.geo/532000.html

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I cannot comment as I've never even grown one, but I'm sure Ursula's advice is sound.

Indianapolis, IN

Ursula,
A most useful link, thank you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.