California Coleus Cruisin'

Northern California, CA

Waiting for things to dry out from our recent storms....no damage to the Coleus (I wasn't dragging them in again, so I left them to fend for themselves!), but since it was too muddy to work in the garden I decided to do some major cruising for Coleus.

The nurseries are all lamenting the slow last couple of months with little traffic due to the poor weather we've experienced, but they are beginning to stock up in the hopes that this week will see things turn around. I was the ONLY customer in two of the four nurseries I hit between 10AM and NOON today.....lots of great customer service! I drove in a 20mile loop down 680 and back home, gone 3 hours and found some great plants.

I am seeing a lot of the large leaved Coleus that have the Kong type leaves, but don't fit within the cultivars listed that I have seen. Could these be crosses or just someone coming up with some equally beautiful large leafed varieties on their own.

Only two were named of the ones I purchased, I'm beginning to give up on the names and just enjoy them......there are so many that are similar and some of the ones with names just seem like a particular grower named a batch by whatever name struck them at the moment.

Lots of variation to be found within the same flats of plants from the same grower....will be interesting to see how the variations develop similarities or diverge from one another completely.

'Rustic Orange' - these were in 4" pots and are tiny little things maybe 2" high and 4" across.

This message was edited May 10, 2005 11:22 PM

Thumbnail by Happenstance
Northern California, CA

And three different RED (not pink, not magenta).....real REDS! All have the Kong type large leaves.

Red #1

Northern California, CA

Red #2

Northern California, CA

Red #3 looks a little pinky in the image, but it is red!

Northern California, CA

This one I'm calling "Orange Splash" (not it's real name) and has large leaves, but they are not as thick or firm as Kongs.....I think this might be my favorite, but then I really like red. :-)

Northern California, CA

Then there is another orange which I'm calling "Small Orange"......I think this might be my favorite, but I really like the next one too!

Northern California, CA

And last but not least here's the one labelled "Purple Queen"...haven't been able to document that name, but I suppose it will do for now.

That was it for today's road trip....enjoy!!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh Candy!!!!!
Why do you do this to us.
I had similar color on your last picture last year called Plum Frost.
It had one of those prison sentance tags on it about no propagating!
I have been emotinally moved by the one above it, "small orange" with what look to be "Flume" shaped leaves.
What a great way to cheer up life!
sidney

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

oooooooh, I love the "purple queen" !!!

DeeS

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Well fess up which nurseries and did you buy them out?? I love the first one in the first picture, is that rust with pink? Oh I love them all. LOL

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Candy....they are all great! I really think that the one you are calling "Purple Queen" looks quite sinister to me! LOL But the one right above it I'm loving it a lot! Thanks for all the eye candy tonight!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

They are wonderful. I am so glad you were able to get TWO favorites out your haul...the 2 oranges. ROTFL I think that you might have been a little excited....yes? and why not.

Sugarweed just asked me about one of mine and my sentiments are about yours in that I am enjoying them instead of remembering their names. That brings in the word, "Work" to mind to some degree. Maybe when the excitement of my new gardens and all my new coleus die down some I will sit down and learn their names. Right now it's about ME, ME, Me and having fun..

Good luck with them all. Ain't this great?

Hap

Northern California, CA

Kell - It can be a treasure hunt for you......I left a couple of PINK ones behind, like bread crumbs on the trail so there would be something to search for! LOL (Not really, I didn't leave any prisoners, and any thing worth while I bought. Not much out there just onesies.) I would say that for visiting 4 nurseries, 7 or so different kinds isn't much of a selection, but I'm pleased and have more than enough to get me through the summer. The two variations of 'Rustic Orange' in the first image are as different as night and day.....the first one is rusty orange and mauvy pink, the second is chartreuse and rusty orange.

Sidney and Brinda....the "small orange" is my favorite of all the Coleus I've gotten this year. :-)

And Dee I'm so glad somebody likes 'Purple Queen'....but I'm with Brinda on that one, it does look sinister. Remember the Evil Queen in Snow White........PURPLE QUEEN!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Gee Candy, that is not very neighborly. So maybe they will reorder the same ones. I WANT THEM. So which nurseries? LOL. I will call them and beg.

Northern California, CA

All but one came from Sloat in Danville, one other one from Navlet's that I think might be Inky Fingers....haven't taken a picture of it yet.

Nothing at Tassajara, nothing at the Pleasant Hill or Concord Navlet's. I was only kidding about buying them all, there were several (maybe 6 or so) additional ones in the greenhouse at Sloat. Several Kongs (Navlet's did still have the huge Kongs for $22), another Purple Queen and a couple of pinkish ones plus several varieties in the quart pots in the sales yard. (Rustic Orange, Jade, a Lime something, and some mixed six packs, plus a couple of other more common ones).

I wonder if Sloat in Marin carries some too.....? When I was at Orchard's last week they had nada. (I got several nice ones there last year, but it was in June I think.)

So go for it! I'm done crawling for awhile.......need to actually work in the garden and get the stuff planted that I've got holding in the greenhouse. :-)

NIght all....I was going to bed early and here I am still playing.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm STILL drooling over your "Orange Splash"!!! I've always had more traditional Coleus (read HD), but this year I am really loving the oranges and bright reds!! What a lovely group !
Pati

PS One of my different combinations this year is "Florida Sunset" and "Sidona". Not my usual glitz! LOL

This message was edited May 11, 2005 9:01 AM

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Candy. I missed Sloat on my 680 run, figures. I was at Sloats in San Rafael I guess it is, and they had none. There are 2 bigger Sloats that I have been too in Marin last year. I may have to take a hike.

Northern California, CA

The one in Mill Valley about 4 blocks West of the freeway is the best one.....they always have great stuff, but haven't been there in about 6 months.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Last year I was going to Ross a lot, having a suit made, and there was a Sloat on the way. I loved it. It must be the one you are talking about.

Northern California, CA

There's another smaller one, can't remember what town exactly......might be a Corte Madera address, it's on the west side of the freeway north of the Nordy shopping center....

Here's the locations page from their website:
http://www.sloatgardens.com/locations.html

Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

I am so jealous of your beautiful plants! The nurseries in my area don't seem to carry many different colors or varieties. I was surprised that many people don't even know what coleus are when I ask. I guess its popularity around here isn't as great as other areas. Here, hostas and impatiens are the most popular.

Enjoy your beautiful plants!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

PlantMom,

Coming soon to your area!!!!!!LOLOL They are really big in most parts of the country from the response this forum gets.

If you really are interested, check out:

http://rosydawngardens.com/

http://glasshouseworks.com/

They seem to be the best.

Start a group in your area. The more you ask your nurserymen, the more they will listen....Gee, I sound like an ad for EF Hutton!!!LOLOLOL

Hap

I told her to order and sell. They will stop traffic.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

You're right sugarweed...

Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

Hap,

OMG!! I just looked at Rosy Dawn's website and saw they carry over 200 different varieties. How ever do you choose? I've ordered plants (not coleus) from Glasshouse Works and loved their plants--just took a while to get them. :)

Thanks for the links...

PlantMom

This message was edited May 11, 2005 10:29 PM

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Plantmom, you don't choose, of course. You buy one of each, what's the problem? Saves so much stress and strain on the ol' brain that way. Plus it gives you some to share..

Hap

200 is nothing. I read in one of the threads that there are over 1200 varieties. Boy, that will keep us busy for awhile...

The BEST Coleus I've ever had came from Glasshouse Works. I lost all but one long planter box of cuttings in the hurricanes last year. These poor things were just moved from piller to post afterwards, but they were like that bunny that keeps on going. Cuttings from those and the ones Sugar sent are what started me off this year. I told myself, "Self", I said, "No more Coleus (or ferns) this year", then I went to HD yesterday and bought 4 ferns, and three "no name" Coleus that were just glowing all pinks and yellows! *sigh*
Pati

Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

Hap,

You are so convincing--one of each! Can you talk to my husband? :) I currently am addicted to orchids, gesneriads, and succulents. I have about 300 plants in the house alone. I don't know if he could stand it if I added coleus to that list! He might revolt. Poor hubby has put up with my "plant craziness" for a long time, even making travel arrangements for me to go to an African Violet show and sale in North Carolina. How much more can he take????? Of course, I could justify the order by advising him that there are over 1200 varieties and I ONLY bought 200!

PlantMom

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Plantmom....you plant the coleus in the pots of the gesneiads and succulets and he will think that they have a new flower....then you're off the hook!!

I think you'll have thirsty coleus, or drowned succulents.
Keep em in seperate pots.
Oh, duh, it was a joke.
Note to self; Lighten-up!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Wow! You did good! I'm finding more locally this year too. I love all 3 of the reds and Rustic Orange.

Susan

Northern California, CA

Susan -

Glad you enjoyed them, here's another I forgot to post.....it's a no name, reminds me of 'Kiwi Fruit' but the leaves are narrower.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Shall I remind you weekly, sugarweed? I do have a dry sense of humor at times......

Thirsty Coleus with drowned succulents.......dry humor.......pun intended? OMG do I need a cupa' coffee....Not awake enough for this repartee!!!! Yawn...scratch...shuffleing off to kitchen...may have to take coffee intravenously.
Pati

It's Friday the 13th!! Oh well......

This message was edited May 13, 2005 8:28 AM

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Oh, Pati, you catch everything. wha a gal...By Gosh and By Glory, it tis the 13th....wasn't there a song about the 13th of May??? Come on GOBs. lets hear it..

Good morning to all

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.