remember how we are always hearing that iris color can vary.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

from one location to another. Well , what about this.

I had 1 tuber of Wabash originally. So now I have one clump and these two pics are from that same clump with blooms on different stalks but within 8 inches of each other. notice the diff shades.

This message was edited May 10, 2005 4:00 PM

Thumbnail by Charlotteda
Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Thumbnail by Charlotteda
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Any chance your clump could have caught even the slightest RoundUp drift? Even if you didn't spray herbicide in your garden, do you have a neighbor who might have used it in theirs? Minimal herbicide exposure can cause slight color bleaching in irises. More extensive herbicide exposure can cause complete color bleaching (turning colored flowers white or yellow) and very deformed blooms.

Just a thought,

Laurie

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Thats interesting Laurie, yes that is certainly possible. I have no close neighbors but I did use some roundup near that area a while back. I sure could not understand how in the world this shade difference could happen.
How cool...well.. in a way !
Thanks so much, it really had me puzzled :) Ha ! and I thought maybe I had discovered a mutant !!!!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Here are a couple pics of varying degrees of RoundUp poisoning. Fortunately, the plants fully recovered and bloomed normally in subsequent years when they were not subjected to RoundUp exposure again.

This first pic is of the IB 'Bit of Chocolate'. The bloom in the middle shows pretty much normal color and flower form. The bloom on the right shows moderate color bleaching and some flower deformity. The bloom on the left shows almost total color bleaching and extreme deformity. It's easy to tell onto which rzs I accidentally dripped RoundUp while using a small paintbrush to try to apply RoundUp to dandelions growing within the center of the clump.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

This second pic is of a clump of the MDB 'Bit More'. The two blooms on the far left display varying degrees of color bleaching as a result of minor RoundUp exposure.

Thumbnail by laurief
Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Fasicnating that it affects the color but doesnt kill the plant !

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I imagine RoundUp could kill an iris if it was applied in heavy and/or repeated doses or if applied to very small/young plants or those already badly stressed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.