'Pistachio' Clematis

Greenwell Springs, LA(Zone 8b)

Isn't he cool? i don't know if you can see the green in his petals but they are the lightest color pistachio with darker green stripes. the color is very suttle, its truly beatiful.

can anyone tell me the best place to put him in? i'm in 8b and sometimes our summer sun is too harsh for 'full sun' plants.

Thumbnail by twenty2libras

another shot

Thumbnail by twenty2libras

i love green flowers

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

"Roots in the shade, but foliage in sun" is what "they" say...

Clematis and roses are a classic combination. If you have a rose bush, you can plant it at the base(shaded roots) and let the clematis crawl throughout the foliage of the rose bush(in sun).

The rose helps to your garden space keep full even after the clematis has gone dormant. This avoids a bare spot when it goes dormant...

-T

oh what a great idea. i am growing a companion planting like that...sort of. 'mammoth' sunflower with 'star of yelta' morning glory twining up the stem.

i just love eye-catching combonations, 'specially when they are functional, like yours. thanks.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

What a beautiful Clematis plant! I

As long as the roots are kept cool with a mulch covering, it should be fine. Growing Clematis through Roses is a perfect combination. Not only is it a gorgeous combo because they tend to bloom at the same time, but it's really nice that they both benefit from the same type of fertilizer. The rose plant itself will help to shade the Clematis' roots.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi twenty2libras Niki,

I have two of the Florida Clematis 'Pistachio' and have them growing on the southwest side of a tree with just a few limbs (much higher up) in more shade than sun. Most clematis like full sun but I last year I read that this one likes dappled sunlight. I bought two just in case one dies. I put down a half of a bag of manure for each of my many clematis (every spring) and then shield the roots further with a big old broken clay pot. I have some ajuga with purple flowers (either 'Burgundy Glow' or 'Silver Brocade') edging over towards it because the ajuga doesn't have deep roots. I didn't want anything to interfere with the clematis roots.

Great photo! Enjoy.

thanks! i really apprecaite all your replies.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

I really love this clematis...22 libras....did you buy it in a nursery or on-line?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

anybody heard from twenty2libras, I've emailed her, privately too

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm looking for niki who has failed to simply acknowledge receipt of a brug I sent her. She is not responding to private email either which is where she approached me with the cutting request. I didn't even ask for postage.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2005 4:05 PM

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Join the crowd, she's not been heard of in quite a while, she owes me a trade and a couple others something might have happened to her. but we just don't know.

Oh no Kathy! How many times have you been burned? Just today I saw that the person who promised a trade in March didn't deliver to you. Wonder how many fingers she has on her hands that she thinks March was four weeks ago - how does she count?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, not sure really, but this person here twenty2libras, had a bunch of trades going on, and alot of folks got their s and only a couple didn't, so I really think something bad happened to her. it was like she dropped off the face of the earth all of a sudden, someone said she ws single with a son and something could have happened to either one of them.

I hope it's not another awful newspaper story! She started this thread and was so happy with the clematis we both have. I feel bad. I agree, something had to have happened. Let's say a prayer for her and her son.

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

She and I had a trade in May and she not only sent the cuttings, she sent extra seeds. She was a good trader with me so am in the camp of people who think that something must have happened to her/her family or her computer. Hope she gets back in contact soon to let us know she is all right. Barb

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I think we all feel that way barb, she just had too much going on here to be a come and go bad trader like some folks tend to be. I did leave negative feedback but wrote her and told her I'd retract or add possitive if I heard from her. cause you just don't know.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.