Look what I FOUND growing in my holding area

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Not the best pic, can't find better one right now. Was taking photos when I found THIS. Did not order it. Didn't even know it existed. Didn't get any subs labeled accordingly. Must be one of those happy acidents. I love it though! It's a dead ringer for Squid Squirt seen at Zebra Irises (Have never ordered from them - yet).

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

That's a gorgeous "happy accident", Scutler!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, mgh! The photo doesn't even do it justice. I am mesmerized by it. Will try to get better photo. It's white splashed with lavendar. But the beards are what REALLY set it off. They are day-glow pinky-orange! Just had to show it to some iris folks. Last fall I bought 3 iris through ebay. Seller could not fill one order, sent a couple of tiny baby rhizomes instead. Because they were so tiny, I feared they would not survive so I put them in my holding area for tlc. I think this must be the result! If so, this was by best auction find ever. Sheryl

Yep, that beard is what caught my eye. Glad it survived and bloomed for you! Maybe it will multiply rapidly? ;-)

Mendy

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

well, Mendy, it's off to a good start. Last fall it was a quarter-sized rhizome. Now it looks as big and healthy as the established ones and has born some 5 blooms, and the buds just keep coming. It seems to be a vigourous type. I'm a collector with small yard so when it's time to divide will have to move them out... :) Sheryl

hmmmm....sounds good, Sheryl. Could you please keep me in mind? ;-) Maybe I'll have something you don't have. Thanks, Mendy

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Mendy, have made a note in my trade tracker to be sure I remember. BTW, here is link to picture Squid Squirt. This is what I think I have. http://www.zebrairis.com/squid%20squirt.htm

I think you're right on the ID. Sure looks the same. Thanks so much for putting it in your trade tracker! :-)

Mendy

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Would you please add me to your trade tracker for when they are ready to divide?
That is such a great 'auction' win! Lucky, lucky you!

Deb

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Sure, Deb. Thanks. Irony is I actually won Baboon Bottom and was a bit nift when the seller was unable to provide anything more than a few tiny section of subs. lol

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I think I like this one a lot better than Baboon Bottom! I think you did better than they thought they were sending you!

Deb

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

BTW, I have since learned that this is actually (supposed to be) Brindled Beauty. But, based on the neon orange beards, I still think it looks more like Squid Squirt.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

scutler, may I be put on your list also when you divide that lovely iris?
Most interesting coloration.

Maxine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.