Marilyn is gone!

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Marilyn Milk Shake left for a new home yesterday afternoon. She went on the trailer really good. We thought the other two would be somewhat relieved to see her go as she was constantly beating up on them with her horns, but our heifer wailed all night and all day today! I heard her just a little while ago and it is almost midnight! Marilyn had had a calf that died from eating a cherry branch about 5 weeks before we got her, so she still had a little bit of milk, but 5 weeks was long enough for her to mostly dry up. Well, Diamond, our heifer found her milk bar and has bellied up everyday since we had Marilyn. Now, mind you, Diamond is older than Marilyn! She'll be 3 this summer. So I guess she wants her milk back!

Kathleen, Diamond seems to be bagging up and her belly is swelling. I told Ralph that maybe she is not a freemartin (we have her supposed twin). They were both field born and no one was there with them when they were born, so I'm wondering if they might not be twins after all. We bought them from a man we know that has a herd of about 500 angus that just graze, barely even go to the barn and I'm not even sure he has shelter for them. But they are both good looking.

Here is a picture of all three of them a month ago. But anyhow, the man we bought Marilyn from bought her back; guess he thought he'd sold a gem after we bought her. Hope she brings him more calves.

Happy Day, Kathy

Thumbnail by MistyMeadows
This thread has 3 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!