Beverly Sills or Dreamsicle

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I am having a problem telling whether this is Beverly Sills or Dreamscile. Can anyone help? Unfortunately I bought them around the same time and planted them in the same section of the garden. I have no clue which it is....

Here is a link to a webpage with a picture from last year and pictures from a few days ago.
http://homepage.mac.com/crr/iris/iris.html

Thank you.
Cindy

Thumbnail by Texas_Doodlebug
Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Dear Doodlebug,
I am gonna go with Dreamsicle cause the Beverly sills in the plant database seems to me to be a more orange/yellow pink than yours. Your pictures seem to show a more lavender pink and the beards are not bright. Beverly Sills has bright orange beards. She was a flamboyant performer on stage and her iris is equally flamboyant. Also, Bev is supposed to rebloom. did this iris do that last year?
Hope this helps,
Martha

Thanks for your opinion Martha. This iris did not rebloom last year but none of mine did last year either so I am not sure that says much. I take it from what you said that Dreamsicle does not rebloom. I will watch it carefully this fall. The beards don't get darker until they are in the throat so I think you may be right. Also they are rather small blooms compared to my other irises.

Thanks for the help. Anyone else have an opinion?
Cindy

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

My opinion is "I NEED it" whatever it's name. Not many plants really tempt me, but this one definitely does. It is beautiful!!

One question... it appears to be a solid color, is it ??

Judy

Judy, it is a solid color. Neither the standards nor falls appear lighter or darker than the other. It is VERY pretty. And I know for sure it is either Beverly Sills or Dreamsicle. I just need to nail it down to which one.

One other hint for anyone out there... when it bloomed last year and as it is blooming right now, it has three buds per stalk. Not sure if that means anything but thought I would mention it anyway.

Cindy

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Cindy, My bev sills is blooming today, if this helps.

Thumbnail by Charlotteda
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

So pretty, I do not have one pink iris in my garden. This is going on the Wish List. Anyone have a few extras?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

How tall is this Iris? Not only does Beverley Sills have a bright orange beard, she tends to be on the short side.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Today I had Proud Tradition and Thornbird to bloom. I wish they lasted for a longer time.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

A spaceager that blooms for a really long time is 'Coral Point'. It blooms for an entire month in my garden. 'Happenstance' is another, and Intermediate 'Concertina'. 'Social Graces', and 'Rhapsody in Blue'. I'll bet others have favorite long-bloomers. 'Harvest of Memories' and IB 'Lenora Perle' bloom and rebloom and rebloom.

Sorry everyone I wasn't able to check in last night.

Doss, it is a little on the short side. At present it is closer to about 26" but I just assumed that was because it has only been in my garden since last year.

Charlotteda, it does look a lot like yours but the color is a little deeper than the one in your picture. The beards look exactly the same. The color in the pictures I posted are very accurate. The color itself is one of the reasons I am leaning a little toward dreamscile. All of the pictures I have seen of Bev seem to be a tad bit lighter. Also I notice in your picture the middle of the falls (haft?) below the beard seem to be a little lighter in color. Is that accurate? The color of my flower is pretty constant.

Thanks everyone for helping.
Cindy

This message was edited May 11, 2005 9:21 PM

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Cindy - this subtle a color difference is almost impossible to tell in photographs. If the beards are different - that's key. Height and size and bloom season are good indicators. My Beverley Sills is blooming right now so it would be the right time.

Here are two photos from Schreiner's Iris Garden
Beverly Sills
http://www.schreinersgardens.com/page/SIGO/PROD/BEVE
Dreamsicle
http://www.schreinersgardens.com/page/SIGO/PROD/DRSI

From these two photos I'd guess Beverly. Dreamsicle has a lot of texture and ruffles.

Thanks everyone. I am probably going to go with Beverly Sills as the beards look exactly the same. However, I think I am going to buy another Dreamsicle and place it in another section of the garden....just to be sure. How is that for rationalizing buying another iris?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Sounds good to me!!! lol lol

Judy

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Any old reason to buy an iris is a good one. But I buy them with no good reason. I've given up. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.