Prescription Help

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

If you know of any senior citizens who could use some help with prescription costs (and there are quite a bunch of us!) private plans exist that often fit individual needs better than the gov't.- sponsored discount cards. See: http://tinyurl.com/7nzwx

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I don't know anything about that program, Yuska, but I have been able to get my mom's meds greatly reduced. When she first started taking all her meds, they were about $500 a month! Try living on SS of $560 and buying meds, food, utilities, and personal items. Yeah right! The doc gave some samples but it took us a year of research to find out that many pharmaceutical companies have patient assistance or indigent programs. I then grabbed each Rx bottle and found the pharm co for the drug. Going to their site, I looked for the program they offered, IF they offered one. We ended up getting her Plavix for free ($120/mo drug!) and we found discount cards for all her other meds, bringing her monthly total down to $60 a month.

Then Medicare decided they'd pay a portion which booted us out of the free Plavix. Now mom is on Medicaid and her meds are about $20 for all that she takes. I don't know if all of you have a medicaide program in your area, but check. They pay for up to 6 drugs monthly. Of course that will stop in Jan and Medicare will take over. We don't know yet what the co-pay with Medicare will be.

Also, there are Canadian Pharmacies that will sell us our own drugs for half of what our own pharmacies sell them. When mom first started on Plavix, we had to shell out $120/mo for it. Then I found a pharm in Canada and got a 3 month supply for $180.

If anyone needs any info about any of this, just private message me and I'll tell you what little I know. Also do not be afraid to ask your doc for samples. They get some of them free from the drug companies and they will share, especially if you can't afford them.

NancyAnn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.