This epidendrum is blooming up a storm.

Thumbnail by George
Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

This one is a bit sparse.

Thumbnail by George
Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

This one I have had for 20 some years.

Thumbnail by George

They are beautiful!! Mine just do not want to flower lately. What do you do to make them flower so nicely?

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

What colors do you have?

The old one is in a 12 or 14-inch pot that sits on the East side of the house. It gets watered occasionally. Last year I threw some fertilizer on it for the first time. I got frosted so it is a bit slow coming back. That photo is from a couple of years ago.

The other two I got a couple of years ago. They are planted in SuperSoil. Also on the East side of the house.

I think that quite a lot of sun is important.

I have a red one and a pink one. Here they grow in the ground, they are getting sun all morning (East
exposure). I had a large cluster last year, but they got squashed by a tree that fell during hurricane Frances. These are new ones that I got around December. They are getting everything they are supposed to get, but I have seen no flowers yet. They look very healthy and are growing fast so I'm not sure what the problem is.

This message was edited May 7, 2005 11:12 PM

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

Just be patient. My new ones have to grow for a whille before they begin blooming.

Is your red like mine?

For what I can tell about the picture it is very similar, although mine may have a bit more orange. I can't remember exactly because they were blooming when I bought them, but they haven't flowered since then. I think they may be getting too much water because the sprinklers get them 3 x a week.
What do you think?

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

Hey you are up late!

Mine has been watered once a week, except in winter when it rains. I have mine in pots in potting soil.

Renenber that I did not have much happen for at least a year, maybe two.

Yep, not sleepy yet.

Well, I think you've answered my question, they're getting too much water and I'll have to wait for a while. I don't remember having this problem with my old epidendrums (RIP), they flowered often and for long periods. I have these ones in a different location, maybe I should move them where the old ones used to be. Patience is not one of my virtues LOL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.