Trilliums

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

We took a walk through the woods today, the weather was cooperating, it was a beautiful Spring day. The Trilliums were flowering and I took some pictures of them. ( And from a Trout lily patch)
Location Fleetville, Lackawanna County/ NE Pennsylvania
http://kammlott.net/Trilliums/
here is one to get you started:

And can the Ladyslippers be far behind? A couple more weeks....

Thumbnail by RUK
DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for posting. Is that Trillium erectum? I was just looking it up for a friend - a lot of variety within the species (including nodding flowers, contrary to the name). Apparently, it also crosses easily with other species, making identification even more difficult. Love trout lilies too.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

looking through the books, it is probably Trillium erectum. I am not sure where to fit the white one?

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

I would guess it is just erectum var. album (the red one is probably erectum var. erectum). According to this monograph, the white form is occasional throughout the range, but predominant a lower elevations surrounding the Great Smoky Mountains. Dark maroon ovary is rather distinctive, although some forms of flexipes may be similar (the standard form does not have dark ovaries) - but flexipes' distribution is a bit further west and I don't think you'd find that in NE Pa.

This message was edited May 9, 2005 11:25 PM

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks Keyring, good information!

Oliver Springs, TN(Zone 6b)

Hey Keyring,

You seem knowledgeable on the subject of trilliums. We've got a thread running in the Identification Forum concerning trilliums that appear to have changed color.

Here's a photo of the type that grow all over the place on my property. Last spring all I saw was the dark red flowers. This year I have most that are golden yellow in color and only a few that are dark red. Are these actually 2 different species? Or has the cooler weather we've had this spring actually causing it?

Any ideas? Thanks!

Thumbnail by TNPassiflora
Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Devons11, what you have posted I believe is Trillium cuneatum. It's the most common kind I see in Alabama.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

RUK, that's one beautiful photo you took. When I was a little kid I picked my mother a bouquet of these. turned out, in her case at least, they are well nick-named "headache plant". They had to go live on the porch.

I'm headed back to NYstate to visit my sister and the wild flowers of my childhood. Gonna be fun. ~Blooms

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

thank you Blooms!
I really look forwards to seeing them every Spring.
Why do you call them headache plant? I am curious.

Ursula

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Being in Ontario, where the trillium is our official provincial flower, I see woodlands carpeted with them (wild) every spring. Many of them turn pink about a week after opening.

By law, they cannot be picked or removed from their habitat. However, about seven years ago I transplanted a chunk of maidenhair fern from the cottage in the fall and brought it home to my own garden in town. Surprise! That spring, just as the fern was putting up its curled fronds, up popped a trillium! It's been there ever since, and is multiplying. Both doing very well, partly, I think, because I had a good enough chunk of the soil and have recreated the growing environment as closely as possible, including pine-needle mulch and a pretty damp situation.

I've also transplanted a Christmas fern and a Royal fern, and they're happy too. Hmmm, maybe a thread on ferns?

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I'd like a thread on ferns - I am in a constant state of "which is it?" I know the Christmas fern and maiden hair - haven't a clue on any Latin for any of them. I also have sensitive fern.

We have the large white trilliulms, red (my grandfather's "Stinking Benjamin" poor Ben!) and some green that are unique in this area. I'll have to dig up the photos

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

A thread on ferns? I took lots of fern and club moss pics in NE Pennsylvania. I enjoy them very much and I would participate.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Hey you got me all excited looking at that Trillium. In Michigan the Moral mushrooms came up at the same time. Is that one on the right under the log? Beautiful picture.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I'll try to dig up and scan a few photos of indigenous ferns from my cottage picture files. They grow all over the place there. Then I'll start a fern thread here.

About 20 years ago my mother developed a passion for ferms and would go out into the woods around our cottage area. This is a big old abandoned farm bordering on a lake, with rock ridges (glacial) and boggy valleys. Not much good as farmland except for a few open areas for grazing. Those of us who own parts of it for recreational purposes have the run of the land.

Over the course of several summers, my mother managed to identify and collect 23 different ferns, transplanting them to a disused mica mine from the 1920s just under our house. The shaft is on the left, not visible in this photo. The ferns are still flourishing there, along with Jacks and other native plants.

If the thread is of interest, I'll take more photos this summer and post them.

Thumbnail by andycdn
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I've got a fern id book somewhere...had it since high school (30 years) and it's moved with me every time I have...now I can't find it.

Guess I'll have to go and dig through every box in the attic now........

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

lol, yes mel, we'd appreciate that!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

andycdn
beautiful cottage, I love the surroundings.
If you start a fern thread, I will happily contribute.
Melody,
fern books are great, I picked some up last summer to help me id-ing ferns and clubmosses. I found it to be very difficult. Most of the time the pictures in the book showed a different perspective of the plants in question, and, as I found it to be the case with clubmosses, there seems to be a lot of confusion about their classification. At least, I should say - I got confused and found myself going in circles. ( not just in the woods....)
Please, please dig them out, I would appreciate all the help I can get! :-)

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Rather rare in Minnesota, this is Trillium nivale, the Snow trillium, near Minneapolis/St. Paul. This one is about 2 inches high.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.