winter king hawthorne how bad are the thorns and the rust

Boston, MA

Hi -- We are starting a community garden in Boston (zone 6) -- very compacted alkaline (8.0) soil. We will amend, but am thinking the soil will probably stay at least somewhat alkaline, thus limiting the trees that will do well. Anyway, so far I am looking at goldenrain, eastern redbud, and winter king hawthorne (looking for a 30 ft. tree) based on what I've read. I'm wondering about thorns on the winter king -- I've read that it's less thorny than other hawthornes, but what does that mean? The trees do need to be grown close to where people will be walking or sitting. Also, how bad is the rust on these trees? Anyone else have any other suggestions or advocates for the other 2 trees I'm looking at? Thanks.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

You might prefer the thornless cultivar of cockspur hawthorn (hawthorn the tree, as opposed to Hawthorne the author, is spelled without rhe final "e") if you're planting where people will brush into the tree. I have no serious concerns here in central Illinois with any of the three major cedar rusts on either species, but bear in mind that every tree does have its pests and problems. Your three alternative selections will bloom in different colors at different times, some will have better fall color, etc., so I'd suggest looking at mature specimens of all of them before deciding.

Guy S.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I have what I believe to be a Washington H. Mini-icepicks more aptly describes the thorns and if rust is the bulbous reddish-brown growths it gets, then it's been getting them for 3 years now since it started getting height. I was considering removing it this spring but haven't.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.