Need fast growing vines to shade my mobil home !!!!!

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Any ideas?I can put up posts with ropes or string for them to climb up.
Perennial would be great but it doesn't have to be.
What about greenbeans,or runner beans?
Heck anything to lower my air conditioning bill this summer.
Last year I HAD BLACK EYED SUSAN VINES on the fence,THEY GREW WELL BUT i DIDN'T SAVE ANY SEEDS,i THOUGHT i WOULD HAVE BABIES,GUESS IT GOT TO COLD HERE FOR the seeds probably killed the embryo.
Opps hit caps lock not going to change it now; sorry I'm not shouting.
Thanks,Jody

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Well if you are gonna want them there for the rest of your life, throw down some Morning Glory seeds. LOL They will reseed themselves every year.
And you can get that plastic fencing pretty cheap at Home Depot, the green one in the garden center. It lasts forever too. It comes on a roll & is about 4 foot tall. I think they call it deer fencing? Maybe not. But it is like the orange plastic fencing that you see around construction sites.
Good luck,
Donna

Bronx, NY(Zone 7a)

I read that Silver Lace Vine can grow up to 12 feet in its first season.

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Red trumpet vines and honey suckle. THEY WILL CONSUME your trailor next season IMO once established plus you'll have hummingbirds like mad

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I just need them long enough to shade it until my trees get bigger.Thanks I feed the hummers anyway.I think I'll try scarlet runner beans,they have big leaves to shade it with and cypress vine,the hummers will love them.I don't want it to take over my trailer.lol.I just want annuals for temperary shade one season at a time.Thanks for the ideas though.Jody

Greenwell Springs, LA(Zone 8b)

hyacinth bean would be a great vine to plant. i have seedlings if you want to sase for one.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

twenty-
Thanks for the offer?
How long do they take to germinate?
I have about 50 seeds,that should shade the southside of my trailer. :) Jody

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Jody,
I have some MG seeds if you want them.

hyacinth bean is so easy to germinate, it comes up in 3-5 days and i've seen blooms within a month. the bigger leaves will give great shade, and the flowers are beautiful. i've got seedlings if you want to sase.

Locust Grove, AR(Zone 7a)

I've also read that the trumpet vine can be extremely invasive, but maybe that's only in the warmer climates. I'm trying the hyacinth beans this year on a dead cedar tree out back. I started them inside about 3 weeks ago and they're already over a foot tall. I think they'll do great if I can keep the bugs off of them.

Good luck! Be sure to let us know what you choose and how it does in your location.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

twenty-
Thanks for the sase offer,but I'll just plant the seeds I have.Thanks,Jody

wow i repeated myself...lol

sorry. i forgot i offered the last time i checked the thread :)

(duh!) must be that durn atkins diet.......0 carbs = 0 sense......makes you feel real batty :)

good luck with your hyacinth, its been around for a while, and i don't think it gets enough credit....its beautiful....

niki

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

twenty-
Trust me I'm a duh at times too.LOL.Hugs to us duh's.heehee
Jody

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Jody C,

I have no gardening experience to speak of but I am trying to grow Cape Honeysuckle to give our small backyard more privacy. I have only planted one plant but the tag on the plant when we bought it said that it grew 20 feet high and 20 feet wide. I hope this is true because it has only been a month since we planted it.

Let me know how you solve this dilemma of heat on your mobile home. My cousin has a mobile home and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Chuck

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Chuck,
I'll try to make a note of this thread.I'd better get back outside and weed before they take over and I can't keep up.still haven't planted my 16 different kinds of tomatoes I grew from seed in the garden yet.Best do that then dig a trench and fill it with potting soil for a fast bean sun wall.lol.Jody

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.