Types of Iris. What's the difference?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

We have some new folks here that would like to know. This should be a fun review.

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Is there some website that explains the different classes and types of iris. I'm just beginning to get interested in them and I have many questions.

Doss, thanks for the info. Very interesting websites. I am trying to figure out exactly what makes it a LA iris or a German iris or whatever. What characteristics does an iris have to have to be in a certain class?

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Sutton's Iris Gardens has a pretty good glossary, this is good for starters .........
http://www.suttoniris.com/images/HomeCoreTemplate_r1_c1.jpg

Abbreviations E — Early blooming iris
F — Falls
M — Mid season bloomer
L — Late season bloomer
Plic — Plicata
RE — Rebloomer
S — Standards
SA — Space Ager

Iris Classifications MDB — Miniature Dwarf Bearded: up to 8" in height, very early bloom season
SDB — Standard Dwarf Bearded: 8 - 16", early season
IB — Intermediate Bearded: 16 - 27 1/2", mid season
MTB — Miniature Tall Bearded: 16 - 27 1/2", mid - late season
BB — Border Bearded: 16 - 27 1/2", late bloom season
TB — Tall Bearded: over 27 1/2", late bloom season

Descriptive Terms Amoena — White standards, colored falls
Beard —Line of fuzzy hairs at the top of the falls
Bicolor — Light to medium standards, darker contrasting falls
Bitone — Two tones of the same color
Blend — Two or more colors blended together
Falls — 3 lower petals of iris flower
Flounces — Appendages extending from the tip of the beard like little petals
Hafts — Top part of falls (area surrounding beard)
Horns — Spears extending from the tip of the beards
Luminata — Wash of color in falls with paler veining; clear unmarked area on hafts; usually paler edge to petals
Neglecta — Blue standards, darker colored falls
Plicata — Stippled or stitched margin color on lighter ground color
Rebloomer — Iris that blooms in any other season in addition to its normal spring bloom time; also called remontant
Self — An iris of one color
Space ager — Iris with flounces, horns or spoons
Spoons — Spooned appendages extending from beard
Standards — 3 upper petals of iris flower
Style arms — Small stiff segments above the beards
Variegata — Yellow standards, reddish colored falls

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

The AIS website is the best starting point for learning about different irises. First, visit their page on iris classes/types at:

http://www.irises.org/classification.htm

Then visit their links page at:

http://www.irises.org/links.htm

and check out the listing under "Iris Societies" for links to AIS affiliates and cooperating societies specializing in the different classes and types of irises.

You can learn a tremendous amount by visiting all those specialized iris society sites.

Happy iris education!

Laurie

thanks for all the info. This is really alot to digest, so I'd better get started!LOL

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Get a good iris book & dive in! and you can extend your iris season by adding the short early dwarfs, and taller Intermediates that bloom WEEKS before your tall beardeds.

Is there a particular book you could recommend? Especially one geared for Texas?

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

For an overview of the Beardeds--I like "Iris: the classic bearded varities" by Claire Austin.

For a good peek at hundreds of Tall Beardeds, I like:
Tall Bearded Iris Pictorial Reference by Janice Frizzell

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I don't think that you have to worry about zone too much. You're in a great zone for Beardeds. I don't know about Siberians and Japanese - maybe someone knows. Arilbreds should be just fine unless it's really damp there and Louisianas should be happy. Dutch Iris should be fine. Does anyone have other information on zones? It's too hot for Siberians and Japanese Iris here. :-( So I don't know too much about them.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

silverfluter,

I don't know of any iris books geared specifically toward TX, but if you want a good, basic iris book that covers just about all of the different classes, types, and species of irises, as well as basic culture, diseases, pests, and genetics, you can't go wrong with "The World of Irises". It is available through the AIS Storefront at:

http://www.irises.org/storefront.htm

Although I don't own it myself, I have also read many high praises for William Shear's book, "The Gardener's Iris Book".

Laurie

Thanks Laurie, I'll be sure to put them on my Christmas list. My MIL and myDH give me gift certificates so I can get whatever.

Well, I just called the Hasting's store in Kerrville and ordered "The Gardener's Iris Book". The paperback is only 17.95. Can't wait to see it! Maybe I'll make it late Mother's Day present. I think that's appropriate.LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.