How to root passionflower cuttings

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a beautiful 'Lavender Lady'' passionflower and would like to take cuttings and root them. Any advice on how to do this successfully would be greatly appreciated. Barb

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

Hi Barb! I root in water- 6 inch cuttings with only about 50% survival rate. Remove all but top leaves- have a node in the water. Joelle

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

Lav Ldy is easy to root. And a young bloomer. I hang a 4" plastic pot with lite soil from the trellis with an orchid hook. Get rooting powder. Do not cut the piece from the vine--but count 5 nodes in from the growth tip, pinch off the leaf, scrape very lightly on the bottom of the node, dip the scraped area in rooting powder. dig a little ditch in the soil in the pot, lay the powdered stem in the ditch, cover with soil. Use a rock to press down on the planted stem. I leave the rock in place. Water slowly and often. using a plant starter solution is good. Rooting takes about 3 wks. 90% success on easy vines like this one. Some like Lady Margaret are seldom successful for me.
Also, if you buy clear dixie cups-6 oz- to use as a plant pot the new roots will be visable as they grow!!

Thumbnail by Flicker

Thank you both so very much for you suggestions. The vine I have is so vigorus that I can afford to try some in water, but will certainly try the layering method as well. It is a good thing that this passionflower is easy to root (will see if that applies to me doing the rooting) as it will be nice to start off with a success.

I just love this vine because it is covered with so many blooms for such a long period of time. Vines are my new passion as there is no where to go but up...

My first JMG, 'Benichidori' ,bloomed yesterday and it is gorgeous as well. It was very exciting for me because I have not grown JMGs before. It had another bloom today. The 'Lavender Lady' on the other hand, must have hundreds of blooms. Both plants are lovely though.

Thanks again, Barb

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I usually have very good sucess with passionflowers, 100 % I believe. I hope I didn't jinx it!

Right now I have them in floral foam in water. Most have one node in the foam/water with rooting hormone. I made a couple of scrapes below the node.

I also used to root them in half and half peat and perlite sterilized with a couple of nodes in the mix with rooting hormone.

Humidity helps a lot.

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

Dakota Ransom is exactly like Lav Ldy except white. Both vines are just covered with blooms right now. I ordered this from Ransom Gardens in Spring, TX. Very nice knowledgable folks.

Thumbnail by Flicker
Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

CaptMicha, Explain about the foam, please.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

A super nice person sent some to me as a suprise after a long thread about it.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/469316/

Flicker, that Dakota Ransom is lovely. I will look into acquiring one of those as well as I love the light lavender over the white petals in the picture you posted.

CaptMicha, thanks for the link. I think I missed the part about putting root hormone on the cutting before trying this method when I read something about this method before. Will try to root some passionflowers and some other types of plants using this method. Have lights but have not put my sytem up in several years. Barb

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I don't know what the others have done but I don't have lights over them, they're just on the floor infront of a window. I also set them on a tray filled with pebbles and water to provide extra humidity even though when I didn't do that before, I still have good results.

I actually got some cuttings of another passionflower from a fellow gardener to begin to root in water. Then transfered the cuttings into potting soil and they look great. Did change the water everyday.

My 'Lavender Lady' rooted in sand which was placed on top of a branch of the vine that was lowered to the ground. It really developed great roots and I was able to give this start of my vine to another gardener.

Thanks again for all the helpful hints and links, Barb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.