Bell Peppers Started from seed still small...

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong this year?! My bell peppers I started from seed are the same 1" high (tall) since they germinated....weeks ago.

I'm fertilizing etc.

What's up with that?!

Thanks,
Sandy

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

Are they warm enough? Plenty of light??

LD

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

They're under flourescent lights or in a south facing window. I've tried both

Sandy

(Zone 2b)

What size container do you have them growing in? Maybe the roots don't have enough space.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Sandy, if you have enough plants that you can risk a small experiment, you might try something I read about recently (I think it was in a DG thread but don't remember where.) Tomatoes benefit from being set deeper in the soil when transplanted, and develop strong roots along the stem portion that is buried. I had always thought that tomatoes were the only plants to be handled that way, but someone commented that peppers too could benefit. My pepper seedlings have been very small this year also. As I've transplanted them into the garden, I've been setting them even with the soil line at the point the embryo leaves (cotyledons) had emerged. Thus far they seem to be quite happy and are growing nicely. You might try this with a few plants - 3 or 4 - moving them to larger containers. I have no idea whether it will work!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

When I transplant pepper seedlings from the seed starting tray to their 2 inch pots, I do plant them deeper, up to the cotyledons like Yuska said. However, I don't think peppers will benefit from being planted deeper than that in the garden (with tomatoes, you can bury the stem up to the last few leaves, laying the plant into a trench if it's tall), as their roots like it warm.

Sometimes pepper seedlings just sit there looking small until they've filled their pot with roots, then they take off. If your growing conditions are fairly cool, they might not get too big until you set them out in the sun-warmed garden.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Mine are incredibly slow this year, too, despite starting on a heat source, then being moved to a grow lite. I keep waiting for them to take off - ha!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.