Iris germanica 'Arpege'

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

My daughter has what she believes to be Iris (germanica?) 'Arpege' growing in the backyard. She has lived at this location for a year and the plants came with the house. This is the only iris she could find that looks like hers. It is highly fragrant. There is little information on PlantFiles about it and none to speak of on the web. Does anyone have any information about this iris or whether there is another iris that resembles it? Any help will be appreciated.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/34043/index.html

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

There are a great many registered irises in the neglecta color class (same color class as your daughter's unknown iris) . If she is using the DG Plants Database to try to identify unknown irises in her garden, please make sure she understands that Daves only lists about 7500 irises out of close to 60,000 irises registered with the AIS, and only a portion of those DG iris listings contain pictures. Also, it's possible that if your daughter's new iris patch has been planted for more than a few years, the iris pictured in this thread could be a seedling from either currently or previously existing irises in the garden. If that's the case, there is no registered name to be found for that iris.

She's really better off just enjoying her irises' beauty without worrying about whether or not they have a registered name. If she wants to grow named irises, it's a whole lot easier to buy them.

Laurie

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Laurie, my daughter's name is Laura and I called her Laurie for many years. The plants had been in the yard for at least 10 years. I agree that it is a whole lot easier to buy named varieties. Thanks for the information. I will pass it along to her.

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

htop, that's one awsome plant!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

silverfluter, my daughter said that she would share some with me when I go to visit her later in the summer. She said she didin't even know that they were in her yard until this year. So, when I obtain a few, I will save one back for you.

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks htop, it'll be a wonderful addition to my iris collection! DH and I are going to Missouri to get our daughter from college and I hope to stop and see an iris garden called Argyle's (I think). There are several in and around Dallas. I don't know anything about them, so if you do..........I found out about these from a link somebody gave me to the American Iris Society. I don't know how to do links, but you can find it in the Iris forum.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

silverfluter, all you need to do to add a link to your posts is to type in the entire URL of the website you want to link, including the http:// part. It'll automatically appear as a clickable link in your post.

Laurie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.