Can I grow Coleus in full sun?

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

I've always grown them in shade/part shade. I am putting together some container plantings for where I work and would love to include coleus. All the containers will be in full sun though.

Any wisdom is appreciated~

Thanks,
Sandy

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh yes, there are many full sun coleus now, in many colors. you can get striking results with sweet potatoe vine, and a number of flowering annuals. I like New Guniea Impatients with them too. they take full sun.
If watering is a proublem, try the Polymer Gel crystals in your potting mix.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I am noticing plants labeled as coleus now that say 'for sun or shade' but not differentiating between sun coleus and coleus. I wonder what they are.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Plant's from either dumb or lazy growers. Or they could be just novices, that don't really know. I think the coleus will thrive in either light, but do different things in different lights.
As I am too curious, I am trying to at least photo journal some I put in sun and shade.
I'm gonna go hit everything with some Messenger or it's off-spring Mighty Plant here in a bit.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Sugarweed,

You sure call a spade a spade..........Ha Ha, no pun intended, but if I do say myself pretty good for this time of morning...

Hap

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.