Anyone use those aqua cones?

Rensselaer, IN(Zone 5a)

I've seen these in several catalogs. They are spiked shape cones you stick down by the roots of your vegetable plants. Then, put an upside down two-liter pop bottle on it filled with water. They're suppose to slowly water the roots of the plant.

I was just wondering if anyone uses these and if they really work.

Thanks!

Jodi

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

I bought some a few years back, but they're still in the package. They seem like more trouble than they're worth and before I could use them I had to ask someone to save soda bottles since I don't drink soft drinks and then I had to buy a bag of sand to fill the cones, per the instructions, since I have heavy red clay soil. I might try them if we have a very dry year but I doubt it, easier to haul a few buckets of water to the plants and be done with it.

Dayton, WA

I use these cones quite extensively. They do an excellent job of getting water/fertilizer down to the plant's roots where it does the most good. I use them on all of my tomato and bell pepper plants. They're also re-usable year after year. I simply leave the 2-litre pop containers on the spikes and store them in the garage over winter!

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

I use something similar on my large houseplants. instead of having the cone above ground with the bottle, it is a perferated 4 sided cone that sinks all the way down in the soil- you water the plant by filling that and the water gets to the roots. It works great on my Queensland Umbrella tree (which is 5 1/2 feet tall and growing!) I also use them on hanging baskets where I dont want to overwater and drain out onto the furniture below.

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

I have used them as well but haved such clayey soil... that they did not empty out for months... I was trying to help my newly planted trees but it did not work... In my raised beds they would probably work well . They are really inexpensive through harborfreight.com.

Drew

Rensselaer, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks for replying, everyone. I went ahead and ordered two sets of them from Gardeners Supply. They had the best price. 12 for 20.00. Now I have to start saving the 2 liter bottles.

I have lots of tomatos and peppers scattered all over my yard. We have an above ground pool and I plant many of my tomato plants around it between the pool and a fence. You cannot drag a hose arount to them so I thought these might help me withe the watering.

Jodi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.