homemade fungicide and insecticide recipes

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

If any one needs insectides or fungicides for the house or garden plants check out http://www.growitgold.com/resources/bugrecipes.shtml
http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/guides/194
or http://www.ipmofalaska.com/files/homemadepestcontrol.html

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

~ Bump ~

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

NatureWalker,
I don't get what you mean, please explain.

I Bumped this thread up to the top so other people would see and read it!

~* Robin☺

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

oh, okay. the more people that can enefit from it the better.

Binghamton, NY(Zone 6a)

Your post says:

If any one needs insectides or fungicides for the house or garden plants check out [HYPERLINK@www.growitgold.com]
[HYPERLINK@www.care2.com]
or [HYPERLINK@www.ipmofalaska.com]

but they are all about insecticides, I did not see any fungicides. I found a good fungicide to add to your list: www.greencure.net

dave_23y, I see you've just joined; ... welcome aboard to Dave's Garden!

Perhaps you skimmed through it too fast!

On this page http://www.growitgold.com/resources/bugrecipes.shtml ; third paragragh down it says:

Garlic Oil Sprays:
Organic gardeners have long been familiar with the repellent or toxic affect of garlic oil on pests. when it is combined with mineral oil and pure soap,as it is in the recipe that follows, devised at the Henry Doubleday Research Association in England, it becomes an effective insecticide. Some studies also suggest that a garlic oil spray has fungicidal properties.

* Protection Offered: Good results, with quick kill, have been noted against aphids, cabbage loopers, earwigs, June bugs, leafhoppers, sqaush bugs and whiteflies. The spray does not appear to harm adult lady beetles, and some gardeners have found that it doesn't work against the Colorado potato beetles, grape leaf skeletonizers, grasshoppers, red ants, or sowbugs.

* How to Make: Soak 3 ounces of finely minced garlic cloves in 2 teaspoons of mineral oil for at least 24 hours. Slowly add 1 pint of water that has 1/4 ounce liquid soap or commercial insecticide soap mixed into it. Stir thoroughly and strain into a glass jar for storage. use at a rate of 1 to 2 Tablespoons of mixture to a pint of water. If this is effective, try a more dilute solution in order to use as little as possible.

* How to Use: Spray plants carefully to ensure thorough coverage. To check for possible leaf damage to sensitive ornamentals from the oil and soap in the spray, do a test spray on a few leaces or plants first. If no leaf damage occurs in 2 or 3 days, go ahead and spray more.

Why is GreenCure better? Bicarbonates!

Bicarbonate: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicarbonate

This refers to the bicarbonate ion, for baking soda, see Sodium bicarbonate.

A Bicarbonate or, more properly, a hydrogen carbonate is a polyatomic ion whose formula is HCO3−. It is the intermediate form in the deprotonation of carbonic acid: removing the first proton from carbonic acid forms bicarbonate; removing the second proton leads to the carbonate ion.

The salts which contain the bicarbonate ion are also known as bicarbonates, such as sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) NaHCO3. Bicarbonates, when exposed to an acid such as acetic acid of vinegar, release carbon dioxide. This is used to cause breads to rise in cooking and to propel toy rockets.

The bicarbonate/carbonate ionic system is also a buffer in blood.

Bicarbonates are more correctly named hydrogen carbonates in the chemical nomenclature system. Occasionally they are referred to as "acid carbonates".

You don't need the sodium!! Just the hydrogen carbonates!

Sounds like the same thing we were talking about a long time ago; right here H2o2 (hydrogen peroxide): Propagation: Stolen Idea! http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/423028/

Hydrogen peroxide: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is a clear liquid, slightly more viscous than water, that has strong oxidizing properties and is therefore a powerful bleaching agent that has found use as a disinfectant, as an oxidizer, and in rocketry (particularly in high concentrations as high-test peroxide (HTP) as a monopropellant, and in bipropellant systems.

Domestic uses:

It is commonly used (in very low concentrations, typically around 5%) to bleach human hair, hence the phrases peroxide blonde and bottle blonde. It burns the skin upon contact in sufficient concentration. In lower concentrations (3%), it is used medically for cleaning wounds and removing dead tissue. The Food and Drug Administration has approved 3% hydrogen peroxide ("Food-Grade," or without added chemical stabilisers) for use as a mouthwash. Commercial peroxide solutions (most H2O2 bought over the counter from pharmacies) are not suitable for ingestion as they contain additional harmful chemicals.

Some gardeners and hydroponics implementers have professed the value of hydrogen peroxide in their watering solutions. They claim its spontaneous decomposition releases oxygen to the plant that can enhance root development and also help treat root rot, which is cellular root death due to lack of oxygen.

I'm among one of those gardeners.. take it from me & others who've tried it.. it does work! And it is a whole lot cheaper too!
And please slow down when you're reading.. you may miss something very important.... LOL!

~* Robin

This message was edited Feb 9, 2006 11:50 PM

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Dave_23y,

Do you happen to know of an online source for the GreenCure? I used their search to find a dealer within 25 miles of me and came up empty. Do you know what ingredients other that potassium bicarbonate that it has?

Edit: Oops! I noticed that they tell of an online source at:

http://www.muckbootsonline.com/gardencenter/

Last year I used some dilute potassium carbonate as a foliar spray with a little added Kirk's Castile soap as a wetting agent with some success against powdery mildew on zinnias and summer squash. Somewhere I heard that potassium carbonate solution, in contact with air, absorbs some carbon dioxide from the air which first becomes carbonic acid, which then combines with some of the potassium carbonate to produce potassium bicarbonate.

MM

This message was edited Feb 10, 2006 3:17 PM

Binghamton, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the information. I have a bad habit of skimming through information too quickly... (especially when I was in school doing last-minute studying before a big test.. LOL)

Your information about bicarbonates is interesting, I think I will do a little research into the history of them being used as fungicides. I see your in Binghamton also, where at?

MaineMan: I bought my GreenCure at www.muckbootsonline.com/gardencenter/ along with my garden shoes. I havn't seen any sold at the home depot yet. On the label it says 85% potassium bicarbonate and 15% "other ingredients"... so I guess their not giving away their secret.

--
Dave

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Dave,

The 15% is probably some kind of spreader-sticker-wetting-agent.

I think I'll buy some and try it out. Thanks for calling it to our attention. It should be very safe to use.

MM

Dave,

On the southside way up "on the hill".

Where are you located?

~* Robin

Binghamton, NY(Zone 6a)

I noticed on GreenCure's website that it says potassium bicarbonate was found to be 35% more effective than sodium bicarbonate again plant diseases. I wonder what it is about the potassium that makes it so effective?

Robin, I used to live on the southside. Now I'm on the west side near JC. I can't wait for this winter to be over...... but I'm glad its not as cold as it was last year.

Thay's really funny Dave, I used to live on the westside from '98 - 2003; directly across from the kwick fill gas station.... LOL!

Potassium is a chemical element in the periodic table. It has the symbol K (L. kalium) and atomic number 19. The name "potassium" comes from the word "potash", as potassium was first isolated from potash.

Potassium oxide or potash (formula K2O) is a compound of potassium and oxygen used mainly as a fertilizer. It is obtained from the combustion of plant material. compost?

~* Robin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.