CLOSED: Spider

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I found another spider in the tv room tonight. Can some one ID it for me please? It was about an inch.

Thumbnail by CaptMicha
Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

oh.. horrible looking..ik.. ???????

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Lol. It was okay. I don't mind them at a distance. But some times they chase you!

Spokane, WA

well, the only link i have that looks like it is this --- http://www.insectimages.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=0001044

its not an exact match, but seems close... maybe it will help you or someone to get a better name for it

Arod

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I think you're right. I think I posted a picture a couple of days ago and it came back with the same or similar ID. They didn't look so similar when I trapped them but upon close inspection of the close up pictures, they seem to look to be the same kind.

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

Michelle, I compared this with your earlier Wolf and I am sure this one is different. I agree however that this one could also be a Wolf Spider
Ken

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, it's hard for me to tell because spiders either looks very similar to me or very different. I never know if different markings change from individual to individual or from species to species.

Mostly, I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't a hobo spider!

La Grange, KY

CaptMicha -- I wouldn't eliminate the possibility of it being a hobo spider. I can't tell for sure from your picture, but it appears it may have the characteristic chevron pattern on its back -- and it looks a lot like this attached picture of a female hobo. Wolf or hobo -- I wouldn't play with either!

Thumbnail by Drewsinky
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I was worried about that. We have soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many spiders in the basement. And it's a finished one too, if that has anything to do with it.

Then we also have them camping out under the couch in the tv room. I haven't experienced it but both my brothers, who were sitting on the floor, said they've had spiders actually go on them.

And it's disconcerting to be watching tv and look up to find spiders out in the open staring at you!

The only "trap" I've heard of is sticky traps. What else can you do to repell and get rid of spiders?

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi CaptMicha,

It does look like it might be in the same family as the hobo spider; but, as far as I can find out, hobo spiders are only known in the US in the West/Northwest.

Also the body shape of yours is a little different, and the legs have more coloration than any photo of hobo spiders I've found on the internet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.