lamb's ear

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I know, people dont like it because it is so invasive. But it is so Cute.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

...and fuzzy. :~D

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

.... another thing I can't grow from seed...... :(

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I luv the look and feel of it to.
:) Donna

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

As the New York Times gardening and style section says "Silver fuzzy plants are in fashion right now."Also all the other silver plants for the contrast in colors.
FYI Blue Stone Garden is having a 50% off sale on some of their plants and there is a silver mounding one (forgot the name).Just go to their web site
I like lambs ears too.

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

I have clumps of this all over - I love it because its such a great, easy-care, small-scale groundcover for me and the color and foliage help to make other perennials 'POP' behind it. Plus, with so much area to still cover I like that I can divide it really easily and transplant it to new areas - not a fussy plant at all! -C

Newport, NH(Zone 4b)

I think I'm having trouble with mine though -- is it too early for it to have come back in my zone? Or did it not like my part-shade location? Any advice would be appreciated! - Mary

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Mine gets afternoon shade and is doing well

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

mmb, the lambs ear that I have planted on the south side of the house, in full sun, is up about an inch, but the lambs ear I have planted on the east and north side isn't even showing itself yet.

Hang in there. I think it will arrive a bit later since it's in shade.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

How much water do these guys need? I have a 4" pot of them and I need to plant and trying to decide on a good place for them? How "invasive" are they? Regarding soil quality, will they tolerate clay soil because that's what my beds are full of. I love how soft and fuzzy the leaves are. When I was at the nursery, I couldn't resist. Like many other silver colored plants, are these especially susceptible to powdery mildew like rose campion (Lychnis coronaria) is?

--Emily

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Emily, I've never had a problem with mildew on lamb's ear, but have had some crown rot during particularly wet, humid times. They seem to grow well in most soils as long as it is well drained and I've never really had a problem with them being invasive. I think a poorer soil may keep them in check to. I've had good luck with them in full sun and partial shade as well. Good luck, Neal.

Newport, NH(Zone 4b)

Thanks JoanJ! I'll let it be for awhile yet. - Mary

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I also love these! They are like violets. They spread their seeds everywhere and they grow everywhere. I have them 'everywhere'. LOL! The kids in the neighborhood like to pet them.

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL Sue! I wouldn't say they were invasive as far as an individual plant spreading out of control - but sometimes I do wish I had birth control for them - I find babies everywhere! Sometimes quite a distance away too - but if I don't want them there they are really easy to pull out and compost or transplant - for me they're just all-around easy! -C

I have another variety called Stachys ciccinea 'Hidalgo'. The leaves are large and the "flowers" are peach colored and a bit bigger. The leaves smell like 7-up when you crush them or brush past!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Pixydish, that sounds beautiful! Where did you find 'Hidalgo'? Now that I know about it I have to find some.

After thinking on it, I realized that last year I removed all the flowers as they arose. I have them in a planting of reds, oranges, and yellows and love the way it cools down all the hot colors, but the lavender blooms kind of messed up the color scheme, so no seedlings. I moved some last fall to an area of pinks,magentas, and purples, so I'll probably let those do their thing.
They're extra pretty combined with dark leaved plants to-really makes them stand out and shine!

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I have Stachys 'Primrose Heron'. It's supposed to have chartreuse leaves, but I think I have it in too much shade. I'm going to move it soon and see if it makes a difference.

k

Gemini, I bought it from a vendor at a garden show last year. I haven't seen it anywhere else, but I'll keep an eye out for you. I've always wanted to buy more because it doesn't grow rampant like the other variety in my garden. Maybe it just needs more sun.

Kachina, I'll have to look for 'Primrose Heron'. Sounds like the color would suit me well!

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I got my 'Primrose Heron' from Forestfarm. I have been very happy with everything I've purchased from them.

K

(Edited to add link)

http://www.forestfarm.com/search/closeup.asp?PlantID=stby075

This message was edited May 9, 2005 9:39 AM

I guess I'll just go there right now! Thanks for the tip!
Primula beesiana is looking close to bloomtime!

Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

rylaff,

We sure like ours. We are growing more of them all of the time for the boulevard (dry, full sun area). My wife and I pet ours every time we pass by it. They are really cute.

As to being invasive, we have a rule as to what we consider invasive...if you can easily pull it or hoe it, then it is not invasive, it is just prolific.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Jefe,
I like that philosophy. I gotta remember it.

I think I'm posting on too many threads! Couldn't figure out why my comment about Primula beesiana getting ready to bloom didn't appear on the primula thread! LOL I'm easily confused.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

It's just a case of "Springfusion".....gardner's brain lock! We all have it, so you're in good company!

K

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I have one that's Stachys byzantina 'Silver Carpet'. I really like it a lot and it's sooo soft. I pet it every time I was by it.

Thumbnail by emilyrasmus
Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

Very nice. Downright cute. (If it is legal for a guy to say cute....baaad, baaad!)

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

they are cute :-)

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone! I have had lamb's ear in front of my house (the east side) for many years. I can't even tell you when I got it, did I buy it, did a neighbor give it to me, or did it just show up? So the name is a mystery. I don't do a whole lot to keep it going it seems like it is like the Enegizer bunny. When I find a little plant somewhere (like a crack in the driveway!) I put it somewhere else like so many of you do. The grandkids like the name and pet it also. Happy gardening!:)Bucki

Ahh, yes, Kachinagirl. Brainlock! I knew there was a name for it! Ususally I just say I'm having an 'estrogen moment', but I think Gardner's Brainlock , or Springfusion, is probably more descriptive! LOL

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

(we all know what it really is....no sense in giving away our girlish secrets)

:~D

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi all :) Earlier in the thread someone mentioned a "mounding form". I think they meant Helen Von Stein or also known as Big Ears. I just planted 6 of these guys and am very excited to see what they do in the garden this year. They mound out about 18-24" wide and do not flower at all. So, no spreading and random seedlings popping up. I'm not a huge fan of the blooms anyway, tendency to flop and look gangly here. I love the fuzzy "ears" though and this cultivar sure seems perfect for me. All fuzzy greyness and no floppy blooms :) They're planted in full sun, BTW :)

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I love this plant too.. I have some that GAREDCLAY gave me and it's looking great.. I wanted to ask, is the size differences I see in this plant the cultivar?? Some stay low to the ground and some seem to get a little taller? I like the low to the ground ones and would like to know the names.

I like the word, "prolific" as oppsed to "invasive" and the reasons for each!

I hope when the day comes that I have so many plants in so many places, I never ever think to compost them!! I will pot them up and remember my early days of youth and desperation to fill my garden and I will find other such newbies.

I like any plants you can enjoy touching and feeling and this had got to be one of the top ones :) I also like that my kids can "play with it" :)

I also have rose campion and after just having read about it in the plantscout, I'm quite glad it reseeds easily.
:)

Susan McCoy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.