Has anyone used plastic on the fence?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I'll clarify. I've fenced my garden, and it gets a good bit of wind where we are. We're planting some bramble fruits, forsythia, etc., for a mild windbreak, but I'm trying to think about how to cut down on some of the wind especially during the tender stage of the peppers, cukes, tomatoes etc. SO.... what if I staple some heavy duty clear plastic to a couple of the fence sides? I'm sure it'll be ugly as all, but I'm just trying to think of a short-term solution here. I'm not using the fence for a trellis, by the way.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, I'm not sure. How tall is the fence? The plastic would deflect the wind up and over, and it would possibly fall toward the ground again but at a more gentle angle and less speed. My concern would be possible overheating. The plastic might tend to concentrate sunlight toward the plants somewhat like a mirror.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

it may be wise to put a few holes in the plastic so if its real windy won't knock the fence over.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Didn't think of either of those things, Yuksa, Herbie. THAT's why these forums are so great. Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.