Buffalo Gourd running rampent

This is really neat. These gourd plants are growing like mad and spreading everywhere. They are on an empty lot adjoining mine.

Thumbnail by angele

Here are a couple of small ones that survived the winter intact. I thought they would rattle but they don't?

Thumbnail by angele
Crossville, TN

Angele...would you like to post those pictures in the PF? Yes...they are definatley Buffalo Gourds...LOL Save those little ones to do crafts with. They are larger than that here...and the seeds are very small...so they may still be clinging to the center...Jo

LOL no I don't want to post my hand... The gourds that were on the vine in the fall were mostly baseball to softball size and with a pretty green stripe pattern.
In one of your other threads you said to wear a mask when cleaning them.. why??? Are they dangerous?

Crossville, TN

They have a bad odor...and a dust can fly out...as do all gourds it seems like...but the Buffalo gourds seem worse. Some people open them under water. The shell on those aren't as hard as our domestic gourds either. The are supposed to deter deer and insects when opened and scattered around. I can't swear to it though. After you have touched even gourd seeds...put your finger in your mouth...YUCK! Jo Jo

LOLOLOL, do the kinda smell like sweat?

Crossville, TN

It depends on WHO'S sweat it is...now if it is sweat off the Javalina's...about the same...LOL Jo

I am really cracking up over here LOL; the other day when I was over by the gourds it kinda smelled like sweat... I was HOPING it was one of the plants and not me.. DH didn't give me any sideways glances so I am guessing it was something I was walking through.. didn't see any javalinas and I know I didn't smell that bad!!

Crossville, TN

HMMMM...we'll see!! LOL Jo

First, I hate bumping a thread where I misspelled a word in the subject... Second I am losing it because I am sure I made a post 2 days ago in this thread about the first blossom on the buffalo gourd. Must have done something wrong!
Anyway there a lots of blossoms out there now. I won't be doing anything craftsie with them because I just am not talented in that way. But I would like to preserve the gourds so I will be looking through the threads for instructions. Here's the photo I thought I posted already.. it was taken on May 15th.

Thumbnail by angele
Crossville, TN

WEll...I think we both are loosing it then...I know I have seen that picture before! LOL

How do you like these little fellers made out of Buffalo Goruds? Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner

They are sooo cute. Do you make the hats? I think I could do something like the gold ornament.
Isn't that weird about my post? I looked in my "posts made by angele" section, in case I accidently posted to the wrong forum but it is not anywhere. I guess I'm glad I didn't put it in the roses or cactus forum. LOL

Crossville, TN

The hats are childrens sock tops....I went to the Salvation Army Store and watched for them.

The shell on the wild gourds are not as thick as the ones we grow...so be careful when handling them. The ornaments with out the hats have a little Eye Bolt (?? I think that's what you call them)....and I started the hole with a very small drill bit so as not to break throught the shell. Jo

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Oh, I can't wait to grow mine!!!! Jo gave me some seeds almost two years ago and now I am TRULY inspired ~ thanks for the photos ☺

Locust Grove, AR(Zone 7a)

Hi Jo!

I'm not following you around, I swear!! :-)

I absolutely LOVE those ornaments! Especially the ones on either end. Those are beautiful. Now I want to grow those gourds too. What's to become of me?? I think I should quit my job and just grow stuff. LOL

Angie

I don't know a thing about gourds. If someone would like seeds annd some one can tell me how to collect them I would be happy (thrilled) to do so for SASE.
That goes for anything growing around here, all kinds of stuff in the desert but I don't know methods of propagation and seed collecting.

Crossville, TN

Angele...to get the seeds just open one of the little dried gourds...they have a LOT of lillte yellowish seeds in them. I have plenty to share. Thos that want the seeds, just email me. Jo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.