Hairy Gourd Soup

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

You all are not keeping up this forum too well. Lots of folks clamoring for forums and they can use the blank space. Get to work or I will convert you to the edible (vegetable) gourds.

This nutritious soup cleanses blood and prevent skin related problems, remove "heatiness", prevents colds and cleanses the intestinal tracks.

Ingredients:

1 1/3 oz conpoy
3/4 lb hairy gourd
10 oz frog
2 slices ginger
Seasoning:

Salt
Directions:

Wash conpoy, soak in warm water for a while
Peel, wash and slice hairy gourd.
Gut and wash frog. Blanch in boiling water and drain.
Sauté ginger. Add suitable amount of water and conpoy. Bring to a boil. Put in hairy gourd and frog. Boil for about 2 hours. Stir

Crossville, TN

Farmerdill....I am sorry that I have no pictures to post at this time...but you do know that this is an OFF time for gourds...nothing interesting to post right now...but you keep up the good work...Thanks...Jo

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Road runner I have seen some of the pictures you have posted to plant files. Good work. But this forum needs growers as well as crafters and it is time to plant gourds in the southern tier of states and almost time for Northerners. Certaintly there should be a discussion of planting practices, trellishing, and cultivars NOW.

Crossville, TN

Farmerdill...I just had a DG friend come by and pick up some gourd and louffa seeds (he may not be back as I conned him into digging a big hole to plant an Ocittila (sp) that just showed up on my door step). I told him to take pictures of his endeavors to post on here and in the PF. He is a very good gardener...even if he seldom posts....

Just wait until I get my new digital camera!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Is a 'hairy gourd' the same as a 'spaghetti gourd'?

I have seedling pics but that is about it right now. :)

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

No, the Vegetable spaghetti (Cucurbita Pepo) is sometimes referred to as the sphaghetti gourd . There is in fact a spaghetti gourd (Lagenaria sicararia) but it is pretty rare but similar is shape and texture. They are both large oval melon like fruits. The hairy gourd resmbles a cucumber with a full head of hair.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.