kwanzan cherry tree

Titusville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Living in NJ. Just purchased an 8 ft. Kwanzan cherry tree. After digging the hole, putting in peat moss, adding the tree and backfilling I watered the tree well. My concern was the hole perked very, very slowly. Should I be concerned? Should I do something else or move the tree completely? Or is this a preferable situation?

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

If you put in nothing but peat moss, I'd dig it back out and mix it with soil. I did the all peat moss trick a few times myself and I noticed peat moss by itself is difficult to wet....like it wants to repel the water. Sure, once it's wet it's fine...but it worked out much better when I mix it with the soil that was there originally. Plus peat moss is acidic if I understand correctly. Not sure, but the cherry tree wouldn't like a really acidic soil.

I have a kwanzan cherry and it's planted in heavy clay...and doing well. It's on a slope though. I believe most cherry trees you see want moist soil but well draining, according to the planting instructions. But WHO has soil that stays moist AND drains well?! LOL Not me! It's like they're describing the perfect soil.

This message was edited May 6, 2005 7:56 PM

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I agree that moss isn't the best medium for your tree to be planted in. Ordinary garden soil is fine for most trees - they are not usually fussy.

Titusville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thank you so much hczone6 and Galanthopile. I did what you suggested and hoping for the best!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.