shipping US to CA

Soquel, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi y'all
A friend just told me she went to ship a curly willow cutting to Quebec and it was a minimum $15 charge. Those of you who ship to Canada, can you comment? I know lots of people do it, even for common plants so there must be some cheaper way, no?
Thanks!

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

What method did she use?

I usually ship by priority mail. There's a postage calculator for US to Canada some where.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

I just sent a box off to Canada with three plants inside and I think it was under $9.00. They didn't say anything to me about a minimum charge. I also mailed it priority mail.

Soquel, CA(Zone 9a)

just curious, did you say it was plants? did you fill out a phyto-something form on it? that's great news, thx!

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

I sent some cactus-type cuttings to Manitoba via First Class and it wasn't that expensive--under $5, I think. I filled out the green form and listed it as a gift and a cactus cutting.

Lees Summit, MO(Zone 5b)

I thought phyto certs were required for Canada? Are things making it over without it?

Logan, UT

Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to gardening. I'm dividing iris and want to send rhizomes through the mail. Are there any laws / regulations concerning shipping plant materials that I need to know about? Thanks.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Welcome to Dave's garden :-)
I send plants all of the time without problems and have received some iris just recently.I write LIVE PLANTS on each side of the box to make sure they arrive in a timely manner.

But since you are in the international trading forum you probably are interested sending them to other countries ? I have never done that and I am not sure what papers one has to fill out ?
Brigitte

Logan, UT

Brigitte: Thanks for your response.

Haven't learned my way around this site and posted in the wrong place. I have learned something that might be useful to readers of this forum - I called my local county agricultural agent and was told that for shipping both within the US and internationally, I should call them with each address I'm shipping to and they will provide specific info. The agent said he works with an international plant seller all the time, helping him with the paper work.
- Molly

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Molly,
have you learned any 'news' yet ?

How difficult is it ? would love to send something to a online friend of mine in Germany,
Brigitte

Logan, UT

Brigitte,

Nothing new. You might try calling your county agricultural agent. They are listed in the phone book under the county name.

- Molly

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Technically a phyto is required for all plants to Canada. The most important thing is the plant is free of soil. There are some restriction but mostly restrictions the other way. I can't send palm, bamboo, Japanese Pepper Trees, etc, etc to the US.

A while ago I asked a seller in "Classified Forum" if they ship to Canada. They replied they don't ship overseas. I'm wondering if they consider the Great Lakes - Seas.

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

>>I'm wondering if they consider the Great Lakes - Seas.

Why, the U.S. of A. is a separate continent, dontchaknow. LOL.

Peachland B.C., BC(Zone 5a)

It is much easier to ship from US to Canada. Received irises from Texas,but mine to Texas were intercepted at Seattle and sent back. Make sure plants are really clean and absolutely no dirt.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.