pretty iris in my bog

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Here is one of my irises growing in my bog area. Not a clue which one, this one was given to me a while back.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Very pretty! Makes a person wish they had a bog. :-)

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Bury a plastic storage container, through in some dirt, add water and voila, a bog area. That is what I did. Cost me about five bucks a couple years ago from Walmart. Rubbermaid is more durable, but I bought the cheap stuff. It can be as big or as deep as the container you get.

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

I have an iris that looks just like that but it's not planted in a bog. I bought it about 6 years ago and planted in one of my flower beds. It has survived on mostly just rainfall which is normally about 25 " a year. Somebody on DG told me it was a Louisiana iris, but I thought they had to be planted in water. I'm easily confused.LOL

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I think that Louisiana iris are very adaptable. I have them in my pond, in my bog, and in my regular garden.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

That is beautiful Rylaff.
Yes, I accidentally left a small piece of black gamecock in my veggie garden one fall and it survived all winter. Louisiana Iris CAN go in the water but they will do well in other damp conditions just as well, in fact mine in reg damp soil do better than the ones in the pond.

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

That's really good to know, because we are designing a stream and pond now and trying to figure out how and where to put irises and daylilies.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.