Any Hints or tips for Tomatillos or egg plant

Vancouver, WA

This year I am trying to grow some tomatillos, I have the pineapple, green, and ground cherry kind. I don't seem to have as much luck growing them as I do tomatoes. Is there that much of a difference in growing them?
They also take a long time to get going and I am wondering if there is anything to do to help them take off.... The last tomatillo I put out side seemed to be doing well, and was starting to grow a little faster until it was ripped apart by a squirly....So, please share your hits, tips and advice, Also what is a safe container size to put these guys in?

Also any advice on eggplants would be a big help too.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

VGMKY, Hi haven't seen you around for awhile, or maybe I am not going to the right forums. Just wanted to let you know that I have finally been diagnosed. It was a cardiac medicine that was causing all the problems. So how are you? I have started 8 varieties of tomatoes, and all are doing well. Looking forward to getting them out in the next week or so. (defoecat) Bonnie

Vancouver, WA

Thanks for the reponse. I bought some straw today to put around the toms when they get a bit bigger. Now if I can just keep the squirrels from eating them.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Tomatillos and eggplant make great companions with okra! Anyone planting these now?

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

I am growing mine up a trellis and they seem to love it. They are growing crazy.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

My okra is with my tomatillo plants, there is a bed between them and the eggplants.

About the tomatillo's, should I stake them? I wasn't intending to but if they are sprawlers I will.

Thanks -Kim

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

dunno. only ones I ever saw grew up pretty straight...

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

I have Cisneros tomatillos and pineapples. I have one Cisneros in particular which is like a little tree, the pineapples are much smaller plants. It is my first year with them. We shall see and learn together. With eggplant be very careful and watch for bugs as they view eggplant as candy...

Drew

San Jacinto County, TX(Zone 8a)

Eggplant, eggplant!
Well, I'm not so sure.

There I was using my shuffle hoe in my newer tamaters.
I saw this thing. What was that I say. What's her face told me she saw it take off from the
'black beauty' egg-plant Plant! She said, got a pic though!

You decide..........

Thumbnail by heycharlie
Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Thats funny Charlie - it didn't know it was growing in the wrong direction!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.