Anyone have a sunglo? For heat retention they look great!

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

I am going to get a greenhouse this fall and have been doing research and this looks really good to me... Anyone have one? What do you think and why did you choose it? Anything you don't like about it? Anything you do like? Does anyone have experience with any other greenhouse aside from Sunglo and how did it stack up? this one is like $3000 bucks. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=77&whse=&topnav=&cat=&s=1 Item # 204514

Drew

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow.. That looks like it has everything you would need to get started except a base

Looks that way to me as well and I was particularly impressed with the 2600 lb. snow load. I think I will put it on a concrete slab with a slanted floor and a drain.

Drew

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

It looks really well loaded, but it is pretty small. If you get bit by the GH bug really bad, you will soon wish that you had a bigger one. I have a 10' x 10' GH,and am already planning to expand it to 10 x 20.

I guess it all depends on what you are planning to do with it. If you just want something to start seeds for your own use it will probably be fine. But in that case you really don't need all the fancy goodies that come with it. You could get a lot of greenhouse for that price, and pick up the goodies later. I'd really shop around before I settle on something. There are a lot of places on line with really good deals.

Just something to think about :) Good luck in your search!

yes but... what... I like the Juliet but the one I like is the 10 Mil one (it gets cold here) and the Juliet 10 mil is more expensive than the Sunglo... And... I live on .5 acres... I think I have it pretty bad but I only have so much room and live in a subdivision (sort of).

Drew

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

Guess I was forgetting about the land/space issue, but I do know about the cold. I grew up in SLC, and lived up near Brigham City until about 9 years ago. (That's when we moved to Missouri.) Are you planning on keeping it heated all winter? That could get pretty expensive.

If I could afford it, I'd build a greenhouse/sunroom right on to the south (or east) side of my house so I could heat it easily, and on sunny days the house could "borrow" some heat from the GH.

Actually, my first GH was 7'X10', and it was a good size for all my personal needs. With some shelves you do have quite a bit of space. I don't want to discourage you. I guess I'm just a bit "scotch", always looking for the best deal. :)

Best of Luck,

Skye

Yes... me too... I am Armstrong on one side and Carr on the other so I know about the "Scotch" issue... I will not keep it heated except above 32 degrees for most of the winter and will raise the temp in March to growing temps. I think I will germinate in a coldframe within the greenhouse. I like the 1.2 inches of insulation in the SunGlo.

Drew

I talked to them yesterday... I am gonna order one but it will be October before I have them deliver it.

Drew

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

Drew,
I was in West Valley City (Utah) a couple of weeks ago visiting family. My sister-in-law has a GH just like the one you are getting. They have it on a cement slab and it looks really nice. She loves it! Just thought I'd let you know...

Skye

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

My only concern would be the size. Perhaps you should consider talking to some local people in your area who have a bigger GH and see what they think. There is a syndrome called buyer's remorse. If you get into it and then immediately figure out that it was not big enough...............................

I just put in a 12 X 24 GH and it is filled to maximum. Seems like more would have been better.

Rick

http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=1471828

Now that is a greenhouse.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2005 10:32 AM

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes indeed! My sis-in-law's GH is cute and has all the goodies, but it is too small for me.
Drew, however, has the same problem that she does with city lot space, where you and I have unlimited area.
Speaking of the disease, I just got my GH emptied for the summer, and I'm already planning what I want to grow next year!

May all your plants be fruitful

Skye

Dang... I wanna go up and see it... does she heat it in the winter? I would go for a larger one but I have a wife...

Drew

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

Drew, she just got it set up this spring, so hasn't heated it through winter yet. Does the one you are getting have a heater? Hers came with one.

Skye

Yup has one.... I hope I can get it and have it set up in September....

Drew

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

That is exciting for you!

I should think if you set the heat at, say, 40 degrees it should not cost a huge amount to keep it going. I guess it would depend on how cold your winter gets.

I have the north side, and part of the north roof, of my GH insulated with cellotex (it's like hard foam with foil on both sides.) I started using it in February, and kept it above freezing with an electric space heater that had a "frost watch" setting on it. The electric bill was not a lot higher than usual, but it didn't get much colder than the high teens this past winter.

By the way, your garden is impressive! Are you using the square foot gardening method?

Have a good rest of the weekend,

Skye

A bit of square foot, mostly Mittleider Method though...

Drew

Salinas, CA

Anyone purchase the SunGlo 100-D (7'9"X 12'6") advertised on the Costco site? It requires a 220 volt electrical hook-up. I wonder if the set-up costs would be prohibitive. Otherwise, it seems to offer much more than other hobby greenhouses of similar size and cost.

Seiko

Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Don't know about the Costco SunGlo, but we're just finishing up an attached 8x10 SunGlo from Charley's Greenhouse. It seems very sturdy and not all that difficult to put together. It does take some time and patience, but it's well designed. Costco says their greenhouse is made in the USA. Ours was made in Canada, so it might not be the same product.

The Costco greenhouse looks like a good deal. They're giving you a lot of extra things like the heater, fan, benches and drip irrigation. We just got a greenhouse, period.

MJ

Encinitas, CA

I was confused as well by the similarity in names between the Costco and Charley's products, but they are different products (I asked the folks at Charley's to explain the difference). Sunglo (from Costco) is made in WA state, and SolarGrow is the one distributed by Charley's. The first uses a proprietary acrylic twinwall construction, and is riveted, the latter used polycarbonate twinwall (supposedly less robust), and pre-drilled bolt construction. They really look very similar, but the Sunglo appears to be a considerably better value, at less than half the price of a similarly equipped SolarGrow, and higher ratings for wind resistance and load bearing. I just ordered the Sunglo, hope it will work for us... Drew did you decide on a Sunglo in the end and if so, are you happy with what you received?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.