Bengal Tiger ??

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I think this one is Bengal Tiger, can anyone confirm or am I way off?? Becky

Thumbnail by beclu727
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'd say that it was Bengal Tiger. Is the flower relatively small? It's the one drawback to what is a spectacular iris in every other way, unless you make it a fabulous attribute by putting it in a wonderful mass or a flower arrangement. I find that mine are relatively short too for a TBI.
Here's the link to the plantfiles.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/34142/index.html

And one in my garden.

Thumbnail by doss
Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

loks like it to me /

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Doss, sorry I don't know if the flower is small or not. It is the first Iris I have that is blooming. It was a no-name I picked up for 3.50 at Grower's outlet last spring. It was only 1 fan then, but is 3 now. The flowers seem large to me, but I have nothing to compare it with. I'll measure the plant height sometime and let you know. No more blooms right now. Thanks for the pic and the link.

Tazzy, thanks.

Becky

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I don't think your iris is Bengal Tiger. BG does not have the yellow central stripe extending down from the beards that your iris exhibits. Dazzling Gold is a better guess. I suggest you acquire a properly identified rz of Dazzling Gold and grow it side by side with your unknown to compare their growth and bloom habits over the next year or two for identification purposes.

Laurie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Good catch Laurie. Why aren't I surprised :-)
Sometimes with an Iris that colorful I think that there can't be another one so close. That's a laugh huh?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Sort of like folks who think any purple and white broken color iris has to be Batik, eh? ;-)

I actually managed to bloom Dazzling Gold here once before it croaked, so I knew it was in the same color class as Becky's iris. I think I tried Bengal Tiger once or twice, but I never saw it bloom before it disappeared. A quick comparison of photos made it pretty clear which was the closer match to Becky's. Of course, there are bound to be more out there that are similar, as well. I just don't know what they are.

Laurie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, I know that Bengal Tiger has a small flower and I know that Batik is short. But clearly not enough for an ID. LOL. Bengal Tiger is leaving my garden in the fall in spite of it's beauty. I'm replacing it with something more outstanding. Great color though.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Laurie, Thanks. I looked at Dazzling Gold and it is a better match all around. Good idea about buying the named one to check. I would like more of it, as it really stands out. Becky

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.