LOL (I think)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

For 4 years I have been waging an endless battle with the deer who think of my front yard as a salad bar - the deer usually win. Recently I read about a new product that "really" works, lasts up to 3 mo., and is waterproof. Fabulous. I ordered some (Plantskyd). Sunday at dusk I ran out to spray the roses. Whew! The stuff reaked!!! Smelled like I had just slaughtered a goat all over the front yard. I lost my appetite just spraying the stuff so I can see why deer don't want to eat anywhere near it! As if that is not enough, it looks like (and is) blood so by the time I had finished it looked as though I really had slaughtered something in the front yard. (Literature says these issues will clear up in a few days. Lets hope so!)

Exhausted from a weekend of gardening, I retired early. Shortly thereafter I was awoken abruptly by the door bell. With every light in the house off, it seemed an odd time for someone to be at the door. I ran (ok, hobbled) to the front door to find my neighbors there frantic with worry that something had happened to me. When I inquired what made them SO concerned they replied, "the smell!" They thought someone/something was dead! As I had sprayed the roses around the foundation encircling the house, the odor appeared to be emanating from the house! Then when they saw the blood splatter all over the roses at the front door, their worst fears seemed to be confirmed.

Not sure if I should laugh or cry. Hoping the smell and spatter dissipate soon! (The cure may be worse than the disease.)

Cheryl

This message was edited May 3, 2005 2:02 PM

This message was edited Jun 28, 2008 5:37 PM

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

You have no idea how badly I needed a laugh today -Thanks!
And Hooray for good neighbors, I feel bad for them though, I'll bet they were just completely freaked out! -C

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, cchiovitti. Yes, I DO have great neighbors. And the 1st thing I said to them was, "Thank you very, very much!".

I guess by the time they got to my door in the dark they were pretty worked up and convinced that I was dead. When I turned on the outside light, I was standing in the still dark fourier and was visible through the glass beside the door. My neighbor JUMPED and then said, "Oh, my ...you scared the ... out of me!" So, yes, I think they were pretty freaked out when I appeared at the door.

Here is a pic of the bloody roses at the entrance. I deleted the worst pics; this is the only one with a rose that isn't blood soaked - i.e., this is the BEST one.

Sheryl

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring

Oh My!!!! That is an amazing story! How funny in a dreadful way. Gallows humor?
I tried to grow roses in Ruidoso New Mexico. I would always see buds but never a single blossom. I am a little slow and it took me a couple of seasons to figure out it was the deer. A friend suggested sprinkling chile powder on the buds. I was very surprised that it worked.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

scutler, this was a great read. Thanks for posting it.

Salisbury, MD(Zone 7a)

OMG...LOL..I was taken a break from reading and thought I would come and look at your flowers..Glad your neighbors came to check on you, and I would have been freaked out by this too...but this gave me a very big laugh and smile...Sheryl it could only happen to you hun...lol

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Great ad for NOT using that product! Scutler, everything happens to you! LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.