HIGH TEMPS AND EARTHBOX

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

If temps were 90* or higher would wrapping around the earthbox with a reflextive material help protect the roots.I'm planting Arkansas Traveler,Early Girl,and six varieties of sweet peppers? THANX

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Heya Netnut, I'm a new earthbox gardener also. I'm going to guess that keeping the white side up on the covers should do the trick; I planted alot of stuff last year (basil & peppers) in plain rectangular planters, and they survived the virginia summer with nothing but frequent watering. I'm hoping that between the cover and the reservoir, these will stay even cooler.

Hopefully Rich will visit here and leave an experts opinion. His earthboxes look like... well, you cant even see the earthbox underneath all the basil.

Chris

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi netnut ---- Your plants will be fine as long as you keep the EB full of water and white side up.

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi netnut, VirginiaPesto & Tplant. I'm in New Jersey and I plant my EB's with the black side out for everything including peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, basil etc. My summers have a number of 90°+ days but the average is probably in the mid to upper 80's. It helps warm the soil up early and for me by the time the weather gets really warm most plantings shade the plastic cover anyway. In MD if you have many 90°+ days putting the white side out would probably work also. I have never had a problem with my EB's getting too warm and hurting the plants.

Rich

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Me too... no problems. White side up and water daily....

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

THANX for all responces! Ordered my plants online from www.thetastefulgarden.com As well as my tomatoes listed above,I got the sweet pepper six pack.The orange sun bell was back ordered and will come this week.The rest are Purple Beauty,Red Beauty,Banana,Red Italian and Yellow Italian. I planted today in my Earthboxes as per instuctions.I waited till now because nightime temps were still in the 40's.I kept reading the instructions so when I planted It would go quicker.Took about 2 hours.So much for quick :) I kept seeing the Florida EBer's with white side up so that is what was in my head.Read instr. again last nite and it said keep the black side up except in desert climates or Florida so black side up I did. I ordered vegetable trellis's from www.gardeners.com They look like stepladders.I will have two for each EB and tie twine around them and use their xtra tall earth staples to guard against blow over.I'm gonna vacum seal and freeze the peppers.Are we having fun yet?

This message was edited May 9, 2005 5:47 PM

This message was edited May 9, 2005 5:48 PM

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Sorry about the giant paragragh.I had three but it didn't take.Gotta find out how to do that.

This message was edited May 9, 2005 5:45 PM

This message was edited May 9, 2005 5:46 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.