knock your socks off hibiscus

Murrells Inlet, SC(Zone 8a)

Want to see some ? Click on this link. When it opens click on cajun loveables and view all images.

http://www.dupontnursery.com/cajuncolorhibiscus.aspx

I'd almost be willing to part wiht my right arm to have that entire collection!! No it would have to be the left arm cause i'm right handed and if I give up the right one then I won't have anything left to use to plant them all with. (LOL)

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I attended a hibiscus show presented by my county extension office and I met THE Mr. Dupont. His stuff at the show was absolutely incredible. He' an older gentleman, early 70s, I guess, wearing a hibiscus shirt and hat. I guess he travels around w/ his flowers.

edited to add: the Curly Top on the Dupont website is very very dark, blood red, which makes the light colored curly white (cream?) edge very noticeable. I saw the flower, neither the website pix or the one I posted in some other thread recently do it justtice. It was incredible and was shown as winner of tons and tons of awards.

This message was edited May 2, 2005 9:03 PM

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I would love 1 of each one.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

David, they are all gorgeous!! I see that they come in 52 plant packs. Hmmmm - reckon we could use 52 of each variety?

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

I think Just Me Lisa is not far from Dupont Nursury; it is in Placquimines, La. I bet she goes there all the time.

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Hi, I have been wanting one of their Black Dragons, that is a beauty.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

It sure is!

i wanted the black dragon but DH didn't like the color, too gloomy for a hibiscus, he said.

Black Dragon blooms were about 7" and just beautiful. I will have to sneak this plant when he's not looking...

Their site says, "For the avid gardener, we have 4'' potted plants, or if you are a licensed wholesaler, get started with our 105-count seedling liners.". So I wrote and asked if they would be willing to supply a co-op.

Would anybody be interested in liners from them?

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

I would for sure.

Matthews, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh ME, ME, ME... Did I say ME?

Donna did you have to ask? You know we are all suckers for more plants,we could never have enough and you remember what I posted to you once before when you asked the question about would we buy more plants?

Is a bullfrogs A -- -- waterproof? answer is yes!!!

I would buy one of every one they offer. And then go and stand in front of the mirror and ask myself are you nuts!!!

Also, and this is just my opinion. After the last ordeal with the hibiscus co-op maybe it would be a good idea to limit this one to the first 25-30 people who post their interest in it. It would be a lot more managable and a lot less stressfull to the host. This is in the event that a co-op does take place here.

This message was edited May 4, 2005 4:20 PM

I'd be interesteed in being able to restrict participation as per certain participants rather than the number. (I'd hate to be number 26 in 25 participant co-op...)

If they are willing to ship from their location I'd open it up for 2 weeks of ordering and that would be it.

If they want me to ship I will probably have to limit it on the number of overall plants. (A set number of liners and subtract from it as orders are placed till all are taken.)

And, believe it or not, I just got a call for a job that will take me right by there. I will try to stop and check the place out in person and let y'all know sometime this weekend what I find out.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I'd be in for it!!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm ready for more. Dumb thing to do, but I can't help myself.

I have one of their brochures that I got at an expo in Mobile.
I was wondering if they would do a co-op. Sounds like it would be a great one!! Count me in!!
Janet

Linden, TN

Ut oh... I found a few that I really really really love... Put my name in the hat too.

Blessings,
Carolyn

Grass Lake, MI(Zone 5a)

Me!!!!!!

me me me

Linden, TN

My dear husband just reminded me of our vacation trip to Florida... If you hold the coop between May 15 and June 5th, Please take my name out of the hat... (boo hoo), but if you hold it before or after, please keep it in.. (smile)....

Blessings,
Carolyn

Don't you all blame me later on for creating this monster!!! I really don't need anymore but will order if there is a co-op so count me in.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I would love to be included.

Me to, I have to have that black dragon.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I'd love to be included, too.

Hindsville, AR(Zone 6b)

Mee meee! Yes, I too am interested.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Interested here also!

Well, I went to LA and when I called to see about stopping by I was given the bums rush.

Since I don't, as of yet, have a wholesalers license I was told I would not be welcomed. ("We can't have everybody coming in, walking around!" - the younger Robert Dupont)

When I called back a bit later, to ask the price for the 105 liners, I was told by the older Robert Dupont that his son was writing me an email even as we spoke. (That was Thursday and I still haven't gotten it.) He then went on to tell me that they didn't have hibiscus in 105's, but they did have many other plants in that size. When I asked him the size and cost of their smallest size, I was told they were a 4" pot and $10.00 each.

As much as I love their varieties the price is far higher than I am willing to spend for multiple plants, especially for a 4" pot.

Now, if anyone else would be interested in doing a swap where each of us buys a variety and then trades cuttings from it for cuttings of other varieties, I would definitely be interested!!

Sorry the news wasn't better....

Donna

Someone needs to teach that family some southern charm. Anyway I would be interested in doing a swap with you Donna.

Vi

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

After hearing how Donna was treated, I don't think I'd care to spend even $1.00 at Dupont. Yes, they have some lovely Hibiscus, but so does Hidden Vally Hibiscus out of Escondido, CA. They could have made their point with some class, and chose not to. Dotti

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.