Red Hot Pokers - Any way to grow them in zone 4?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I am enchanted with them, but haven't had any success growing them, even though i overwintered one in a pot in the garage one winter. Anyone ever grow them? or should I just give up?

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

mine winter-killed - haven't tried it since.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I planted two bare root plants last summer and had only blade-like foliage about 1 1/2 ft. high. So far this year I've noticed that the foliage is sprouting and is about 4 inches high. I don't know what to expect. Hopefully I'll get some flowers this year.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

How big was your pot? These things multiply like crazy and are fond of toe room. My potted ones are in a 14" square pot and that has to be divided yearly. It is a perennial here so I guess it would be alright in the house. They are good to 6a, so a little frost shouldn't hurt them. Good luck. They are one of my daughter's favorites.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Here's one that Iris that lives in CT. sent me a couple of years ago and this is my first bloom. She says they grow well in CT.

Thumbnail by Georgiaredclay
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Georgiaredclay: What zone is Connecticut? Does she mulch them over winter or anything?

Frogsrus: If you grow them in a large pot, I could try that too...The one I overwintered in a pot survived and I planted it out, hoping it would bloom that summer, but it never did. It lived though, but I got tired of digging things up last fall and just left it to its fate...Does it bloom all winter for you, or does it go dormant? You keep it outside in a pot in the sun all year - right?

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I don't know the zone there but I know it is really cold. I'll email her and see if she can answer some questions for you.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

The potted one stays in the pot. The blooms do not get as tall as the big one in the ground but it does bloom well. They do not bloom in winter but are evergreen. Yes, mine stay out year round. I will take a pic of gonzo tomorrow. It is at about the end of its blom cycle now. Had about 50 spikes this year and that was after I took out a chunk to give to a friend. My potted one just went to Napa to live with my Dad.

You can always just partially bury the pot so that it is easier to yank out come winter..

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

catlinsgarden, They are suppose to be hardy from zone 5-10, I'm in zone 5 but it gets below zero temps here at times and we do have a cold winter, Mine are just mulched all year, I don't add any extra mulch for the winter and mine grow like weeds! I do sometimes tie the leaves at the end of the season to protect the crown from getting to wet, But not always, Mine get some afternoon sun and they are in a spot that has good drainage, Other then that, They have no special care at all.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I have one I just dug up to move that is about 24" around and 24" tall. Hasn't bloomed yet and I doubt that it does since it is still sitting on top of the ground. I had a solid yellow last year.

Deb

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Thank you all for your input - maybe I won't give up on them quite yet! Hmmmm...maybe a really big pot on a dolly that I could just roll into the garage in the fall....we have a nice window in there and as it is actually my studio it stays minimally heated all winter....

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Here it is. I really have to move that lavender. It is about to consume the bed. I think a nice mild mannered russian sage would be better there. (but that is what I thought about the lavender which was a little quart sized plant this time last year.)

Sounds like the ticket for your poker. I am sure it will love the garage. They are really easy once they get established.

Irisluvr, Don't be too sure. I have had these things bloom sitting in plastic bags awaiting transport. Lol!

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

My DL will do that. In fact I still have 8-10 clumps of dl sitting on top of the ground that I dug up last year and didn't get planted back in the ground before it got cold. They are up and sending up blooms scapes. I have a clump of stellas sitting beside the garage door like this too! And iris......I just tossed 6 rhizomes to the back of a flower bed and forgot about them. They are going to bloom!

deb

ps: nice flower bed!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

It's my front lawn lol. Got tired of mowing and water bills. It is a work in progress.
Janice

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

If I keep trading and buying, my front yard will be a solid flower garden!

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Frogsrus: Lovely! What are the yellow flowered lacy fronds on the right?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

It is a dying cerinthe purpurens-blue shrimp plant. It is an annual. A bird planted this one in the front yard so I let it stay but it got much larger than anticipated so now I am collecting seeds and waiting impatiently for its demise. The poor artemesia next to it is getting seriously one-sided.

This message was edited May 5, 2005 12:23 PM

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

For most plants that are on the edge of hardiness, your best chance would be to incorporate LOTS of grit in the soil to make it free draining and so that when the ground freezes, the roots don't get crushed.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Grit like samd, or grit like crushed gravel? A raised bed with good drainage underneath it? Thanks for the comments, everyone, I love this place!

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I would so love to be able to grow these here, but I think I'm just a zone too cold. I love them and grew them when I gardened in England.

I bought another pot this spring, I'd be happy to have them as annuals..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.