garden virgin needs advice

Saginaw, MI(Zone 5a)

Are there any flowering perennials for full shade? I have 2 huge pine trees I'd like something under and also space between bushes against the house(faces east) that gets no sun due to an enormous maple in the yard.

I also have a border around the entire back of the house(presently filled with rocks) Three areas face west, one north, and one south. I think these get either no or very little sun due to neighbors trees.

I am in zone 5 (5b?).
Thanks so much!!!

Pascoag, RI(Zone 6a)

what about hostas or foxglove?

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I had the same question about planting under pine trees. I got some good ideas from members earlier this year. Here is the thread I had started http://davesgarden.com/showthread/20561.html
I haven't done too much with mine yet. I've got a rhodie and some heucheras.
Hope this helps.
Debbie

Pleasantville, NY(Zone 6a)

I have the same enormous maple problem. No, 3 enormous maples. Anyway, one is shading my patio and a fairly new shade bed. The plant doing the best so far is Astilbe. I have 5 or 6 from 2 years ago, all blooming in shades of pink and dark wine red. Also a new one from Shady Oaks Nursery that is an incredible shade of intense lavender. I think I'll pull out the other things in there and plant all Astilbes.
The exposure is East, but they never see the sun. They are up against the house.
Ruth

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

You need a catalog from www.shadyoaks.com

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.