"Watching" a Garden Diary

The Diary Watcher is finished. Just go to a tab you like, and click on the watch link over on the right. When they post an update, it will show you on the homepage just like the thread watcher.

You can modify where on the homepage it appears, by going to "My Info / Preferences / Custom Homepage".

dave

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Soooo... ? How can I find out whooooo? is watching my diary? pod

When you are managing your own diary, go into a tab and look on the right-hand side, 3rd column down.

dave

Odd, there is no third column down and no watcher now.

Sorry, I don't mind it being read but want to know who the watcher is... almost feels like being "stalked". I guess the only way around it would be to make it private.

Where is said there was one "watcher" could you change it to where it automatically said "XXX" is watching?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The watcher thing is still there, but it doesn't tell you who, just tells you how many. If you're not seeing it then it means nobody's watching that particular tab.

Hi ecrane ~ odd how this morning the "watcher" was there and when I asked this question ~ it is gone. I would have no problem with either not knowing or if it told me the DGr name...

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Dave are we suppose to be able to see "who" is watching a diary? Or did you change it so we can't see who it is. I'm with Podster...curious.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

podster--are you sure you're looking at the same tab in your diary that you were on before when you saw that someone was watching it? I noticed that the watched thing only shows up on one of my tabs and not on the others, so I think it's watched by tab rather than the whole diary.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
I think it's watched by tab rather than the whole diary.

I agree ecrane....I only show one of my 5 or 6 tabs as being watched. Oddly enough its' my 2007 Wish List!

This message was edited May 12, 2007 12:42 AM

This message was edited May 12, 2007 11:35 AM

Let me go check but I thought....

I can understand someone "watching" a wish list. That is probably a garden elf. : ))

Nope ~ now it's there again.

Quoting:

Watchers
1 person is watching this tab! (You are not counted in this number)

My diary is just errant day to day ramblings (at least when I take time to post). It is eerie that someone would care to read it. I am not eloquent or literary. Certainly not informative.

I believe if someone can mark to watch a diary, the diary author should know who it is. If not, I will have to see if I can change my privacy settings or delete. My journal or the threads don't seem quite as personal.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I would keep it private if you are concerned about someone watching yours. I'm sure there's something in there they find interesting, maybe your ramblings are more exciting or informative than you think! Personally I don't care if I know who's watching mine, I think it's nice if someone finds some part of my yard interesting enough that they want to stay updated on it. But if it bothers you I would definitely make it private, then your problem is solved.

Well, I reread my complete diary and don't think I will change the privacy setting yet.

I still wonder why a watcher ID should be private tho...

Wonder also why photos have a copyright but how can something which is written be prevented from plagerism... If that made any sense ~ LOL

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Photos have a copyright as any internet user could download a copy of the image and use it anyway they wish. They could sell it for profit, they could represent it as their own, they could use it to promote their business, etc. Basically it insures that the owner of the photograph is given credit for it. I know that on occasion Dave has been contacted by outside entities/people to request the owner's permission to use the photo.

I think copyright is a good thing.

I agree, copyrighted photos is a good thing.

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

I love reading other's blogs. With people living in different states, zones, rural vs urban, other countrys. I am fasinated by how these differences effect things. I've also met some very terrific people. It seems to me that gardening is a passion but also an act of nurturing and caring and that shows in some of the blogs.
I do agree it would be nice to be able to know who is watching, but at the same time I think it gives me a sense of freedom. I love the blogs. I love the sense of closeness that this intire site gives. This is a social site that actually is social, not just a a constant flow of snippits of none information.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Does anyone know if the blog/journal features are available to a non-subscribing member? My subscription comes due in August and I am debating about renewal. I realize I will lose most of the forums, but am not sure about the blog/journal. I only want to access my own, as I use it the so-called blog as my garden diary. If I will lose access to that, I may want to rethink my decision and/or transfer the information somehow. Thanks for any insight.

You should still have access to your journal and your blog. I did, when I let my subscription lapse.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you, echoes. I've pretty much decided to lapse, particularly with whatever has now happened to the main page. Not sure if it is a glitch specific to me, but everything is all jumbled together without the top banner - just a smallish caterpillar, with a list of options that runs into the actual threads. I'm just tired of fighting it all...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images