Dogwood Shrubs (flowering)

Interlochen, MI(Zone 5b)

I live in the Traverse City, Michigan area. We recently fenced in our backyard to keep our 3 felines in. In doing so we created a courtyard in one area. Since this courtyard only gets sun from 1:30 to 4:30 in the afternoon, I figured I should stick to mostly shade/partial shade plants. Since the backdrop will be the woods, I thought a dogwood shrub would be perfect to separate the garden from the woods. That area gets filtered shade. I need something to fill 8 ft area wide to 8 to 10' tall. Arborvitae is out because it needs full sun. I asked a local nursery if they had any Dogwood shrubs. I was really looking for the Cherokee (red flower) or the white. I was told that only Dogwood Trees flower--shrubs don't. I've searched the internet and unless I am reading the sites wrong, dogwood shrubs do flower. Do they or don't they? I would appreciate any advice offered.

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Red twig Dogwood shrub flowers beautifully and it has those winter reddish stems to show off!
Trish

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I just got the waysides fall catalog and there are dogwood flowering SHRUBS listed so they(the nursery) were wrong and you were right.

Interlochen, MI(Zone 5b)

--Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

My red twig dogwood has its first flowers now; it was 2' tall when I got it last year. However, mine is in a spot that gets lots of sun, until maybe 2 pm.

Thornton, IL

Golden ~ I just picked up a Cornus alba 'Elegantissima' to plant this spring, it has varieagated foliage and BRIGHT red stems. If you cut it back at least by one third, after the first year or two in the ground, I believe you would be cutting off the flowers and/or berries. Since that is how many people treat this otherwise large (8-10 H x W) shrub, in order to get the boldest stem color, which happens on new growth, that may be where the misconception comes from. Also, I believe Cherokee dogwoods are trees? A great choice either way. :0) Prairie

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Does anyone had a dogwood tree??? Im in love with them.. Was wondering about light requirements... We have shade. The place I would like to place one get dappled shade almost all day. Thanks for any info. Ronna

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Ronna, dogwoods realy do best in the environment you have. Just look at Mother Nature and see where they grow! I don't know about Michigan but around here in the dappled shade in the woods is where they grow wild and BEAUTIFUL this time of year.

Doug

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I know we just took a walk the other day in some realy large woods and they were everywhere under large trees..... Is there such a thing as a miniature dogwood??? If only I wouldve had a shovel with me the other day!!! LOL. ;) Ronna

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

No miniatures that I know of but they are quite slow growing. My Mom has some in her yard from 45 years ago and they are only about 20-25 feet tall.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

So maybe not a bad idea to look into them??? So beautiful....I was kinda surprised when there wasnt any scent. Ronna

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

They are beautiful in the Spring, and in the Fall they get those red berries on them that are quite lovely too. I would have to consider them in my top 3 favorite trees.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

The other day when I was walking the dog I seen the most beautiful one all in blossom.... And the perfect shape I love the limbs on those trees, so graceful!!

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I have a Pagoda Dogwood that does just fine in the shade. It gets a little early morning sun that's all. The white flowers really brighten up a shady area. It's one of my favorites too.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I have one white Dogwood that I mistakenly put between aspruce and a pine and it is squeezed into but I let it grow. It gets about 2 hours of sun a day and the rest shade. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well we really do not have enough room in our small yard so I bought a really nice verigated red twig dog wood toady!!! I got it at Meijer for only 7.49. Of course they had larger ones but they also were a larger price tag. Im very happy with it!!! Now I have to cast a spell on it and make it grow fast!!! I also purchased a nice rhodedendron..... (?) and a couple nice spierias... They tag said they were nice companion plants... So I had to buy all of them and they are for sun to part shade so hopefully the sun they get will be enough. Im excited. Ronna

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Sounds nice Ronna. Show some pics when you get them growing in the garden!

Doug

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Gardenlady, there is a dward white dogwood: cornus florida 'pygmaea'.
I have one in my yard. It bloomed for the first time this year.
It has typical white dogwood blooms.
It's 4-5 feet tall.
I see it offered in catalogs periodically.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

thanks for the info weerobin... I may have to look them up!!They ar georgeous...Ronna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.