Another 16X80 Greenhouse

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Well---------I am ordering another 16x80 greenhouse. Yaaaaaa.
I have ordered it to be 3 feet taller than my last one so i dont have to lower the mater plants as often.
My grandfather doesnt think I will be able to sell ALL my produce maters. Being my first year and all. He is really shaking his head noooooooooo at the thought of another tomato greenhouse. what do yall think? Hes got me nervous..

Am I over doing it?
The first greenhouse has 380+ tomato plants in it. The second house will have 480 tomato plants. 380 plants should average 7,600 pounds on the low scale. The second house of 480 plants should average 9,600 pounds.

cricket

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Cricket , For what it's worth ............... IMO , I really would hold off for awhile.

Through out the years I've seen

MANY good strong

undersized

busting at the seams

Owner Operator

Businesses

Making good profits ,

always running in the black,

Go on for years .....

Then that fateful Day arrives when the owners decide more could be better

fast forward to

bigger digs,

higher payments,

more overhead

I tell ya kiddo, I have not seen any of these survive the up size for more than a year or two.

From this ol gramma ....... listen to your Gram pa . I'm sure he has seen the same I have.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Guess its a good thing that I pay cash for the greenhouses. No payments.

I need the second greenhouse for all the bedding and veggie plants next year-----just thought I would start a second crop of produce tomatoes in there this year. Grand pa also said that I wouldnt sell all my tomato plants this year also. I sold out and still have 4 weeks of sales season to go. blah blah . I will have to grow 4 times as much next year.

Well --no time like the present.-----I am going to go for broke.! The farmers market salers are asking when will my maters be ready. hmmmmm.

I dont like those big beef maters. Darn it. They are cat facing. ugly on bottom like the beef steak. Should I just try growing the Big Boy in the Second Greenhouse ---see how they do?
I dont know which is worse-----green shoulders or ugly butts. lol

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I already have the ugly butt and it looks like it's staying, so I would have to say green shoulders are much worse! HAHAHAHA

I am so glad to see you doing so well. What do you have up your sleeve for bedding plants and other stuff to sell besides tomatoes?

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I sold out of petunias and marigolds and impatiens. All i have left are dusty miller and begonias. I sold out of coleus too. I dont know what I will grow next year. I know I will grow more of what I sold out of this year.
Petunias were the #1 seller. Impatiens #2, marigolds #3, coleus #4. Everyone wants Hostas. Hosta plugs are expensive. Folks dont want to pay the high price after you grow them for a while. And I need to grow Caldiums next year too. I hate growing those--- you have to start 3-4 months in advance with those and they are expensive in saleable size.
ARGGGGGGG.
I been potting up my cannas. Tropicana and Pretoria. I have 27 varities but not potting up 27 this year. Gonna let them multiply in large pots and in the ground.
I have 8 differant elephant ears----they all havent come up yet. Still too cool. Gotta pot up some Red stem elephant ears this week too.

last years elephant ears---that i had sold.(pic)

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden

You go girl ! Ya only live once so go for it !

Holey Schmoley , I thought you were only into tomatoes .

Wish you were closer 'cause it sounds like you have a few things I've been looking for.

If I ever get my wish and move to your part of the country, I'll def stop by.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

oh---and i gotta pot up some English Ivy--------that stuff is everywhere here. I am going to root some hydrangeas this week too---blue and red.
Hope they dont have a paton.

Um---my renters dont want me to put a greenhouse so close to the rental trailer that i rent to them----so---legally I have to await till its time to renew the lease----and add that there will be a greenhouse 10 feet from the rental trailer. They can sign the release or not----i really dont care---I can make more money with a greenhouse than I can rent income. If the trailer weren't so nice I would just make it a greenhouse office and storage----97" 16x80 3 BR 2 Bath with fire place---shingle roof and vinyle siding. Its paid for. I rent it for $375 month.
Soooo til i get that lease agreement changed----I am just putting up a 16x60 on the other side of the greenhouse. But first I have to clear out some trees. This is not what I had planned at all. SUCKS.

The newer tomatoes that have been producing lately dont seem to be catfacing like the others did----hopefully it was just the cool snaps that made them catface. We will see.

English Ivy.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

this was the english ivy growing on old garage when we first moved here----we tore teh garage down.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

up close

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Problem is: I dont know how much to sell the English Ivy for. Was going to root them in 6 inch pots. What do you think? I might not sell it til Next year. I dunno yet.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

HERE IT IS---#2 GREENHOUSE GOING UP

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Growing Squash in a Bag of Compost Manure----just feed 13-13-13

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

long row of squash and egg plant

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

cool!

DITTO !

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I am trying my favorite home garden tomato in the new greenhouse area. The Better Bush. Taste like better boy---nice size----and very bushy---and last year my better bush grew to 5 1/2 feet tall with a count of 44 tomatoes and I didnt even take care of them correctly. My goal is to cut down on how much time I spend training --twining---tomato plants. With the bush, I wont have to lower the vines cause they are bushy stalky plants---just tie up once. And the greenhouse is 8 feet tall in the center ----Sooooo wish me luck. I will keep pictures posted of the Better bush as they progress.

Happy Gardening.
cricket

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

young better bush

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

some older better bush with maters on them.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

closer up of squash

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

BIG BEEF tomatoes ===update

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

CT, everything looks great! BTW, where are you getting your GH supplies, i.e. frame, ground cover, film. Is it mail order, or someplace close to you?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

holy cow everything is HUGE!!!!! you do good work cricket!!! :)

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I get my greenhouse frames and ground cover from
www.atlasgreenhouse.com
they are from GA.
I order my grow bags by the bulk of 500 from
www.hydro-gardens.com
I get my seed in bulk from
www.hpsseed.com

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

UPDATE
maters

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Sandwich size ----and it aint even ripe yet

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Sweet Million Cherrie Maters

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

These mater plants will be chopped down about mid July or so. Shame aint it.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

squash update

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

peppers and update on better bush

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

built a produce table out by the road under a mimosa tree.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.