Question re: vitamix composting

N., CA(Zone 9a)

I have been blending kitchen scraps in my Vitamix to pour in my flower garden. Everything I read says when you compost, do not use meat or fat. Are bones such as chicken bones, or fish bones considered meat?
~Rachael

Windermere, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm no expert, but I'd say not to add any bones because you'll attract rodents. There may be other reasons as well. Margaret

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I agree with veggie mom, no bones.

Paul

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Guess I was a bad girl. I always ground the chicken bones and put them in the compost.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Hummmmmmm - well, we do use bone meal for bulbs, etc.

N., CA(Zone 9a)

Right! That was what I was wondering. Maybe it has to do with cleaning the meat off the bones really good. (?) Who here has experience with Vitamix composting?
~Rachael

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

yes, I think it's the grease that would cause a problem.

Garberville, CA(Zone 9a)

Rachael -

I LOVE that you use your vitamix to create compost.

My Mother bought one at the county fair 7or 8 years ago, used it for about a month, and its been collecting dust ever since. I love teasing her about the $400 blender!

Perhaps I can con her into giving it to me.... What a great way to utilize both blender, and kitchen scraps.

Lori

N., CA(Zone 9a)

Lori, I thought for sure our vitamix would end up in the spare bedroom along with the treadmill and cuisinart. But I kid you not, it was one of the best purchases we've ever made. I got it Mothers Day last year and I figure I use it - on an average - at least twice a day. As mentioned, I use it to blend kitchen scraps for compost. I also make smoothies for my husband every morning, I make baby food for my 10 month old, diet shakes for me when I'm on a diet and Frappucinos when I'm not! I could go on and on, but then I start sounding like a salesperson.
I really would like to learn more about the composting since its a totally new thing for me. There is a small amount of info that comes with the machine, but besides that, I havent found much more.
If you start using your mom's, let me know your experiences.
~Rachael

Garberville, CA(Zone 9a)

I doubt I could pry it from her cold dead fingers. ;P

She's funny about expensive appliances, even if she lets them gather dust! Oh, well. One day, maybe.

Or, I'll just buy my own! I'm not much for smoothies, but I'm sure I could learn, and I'd love to be able to make use of all the kitchen junk that I throw away.

Lori

Windermere, FL(Zone 9b)

We've had ours for at least eight years and it's definitely been put to good use. Besides the usual smoothies, etc. we've used it for grinding coffee beans and before I got a grain mill I used it to grind my wheat. I was telling my husband about it for about a year but he wasn't paying any attention. I left the brochure around for him to look at and when he read the specs he decided it was definitely worth it - It's kind of like a power tool for him! Margaret

N., CA(Zone 9a)

Totally! My hubby,too! you should see how he cleans the blades...lol!

Berkeley, CA(Zone 10a)

http://www.vitamix.com/household/summerfun/composting.html

wow sounds fun ..my vermicomposter is arriving soon..guess now i will need a fancy pants blender too! Oh i guess I could use my cuisinart!
"sorry everyone,too tired to cook dinner,i've been making worm shakes and compost tea all day.."
A

N., CA(Zone 9a)

Annie, ROTFLMBO! That is the exact scenario at my house! I'm always talking about feeding my worms and then my husband asks "whats for dinner?" "Oh, you need to eat?"

Thanks for the link!! I've looked on that site before and have never been able to find anything on composting. I can be pretty blind though!
~Rachael

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.