Intermediate Beardeds? YES!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Well, despite the warm March weather and the COLD weather today, my Intermeidate Bearded Iris (IB) are starting to bloom. Good thing too, my dwarfs are quickly finishing out.

This is sweet little Plum Ripples IB

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

wanda--thanks for posting...would love to see more of your IBs...

my little dwarfs are finishing too and now I am looking for some nice IBs to pick up the iris theme in our garden...t.

The dwarfs and Intermediates are a great way to extend your iris blooming time by several weeks. The Intermediates are a nice height to fit in any garden & the blooms are bigger. I've got lots of buds out there --I hope tonight's freeze (28 degrees) gives me a pass....

A late April freeze in 2004 stopped alot of my Intermediate buds. Cross your fingers if you want to see more. I want to see them bloom too!

My Intermediates are warming up & kicking into gear: Az Ap is a healthy bloomer for all of you that like a good early blue.

Harlow Gold has brilliantly golden flowers--and lots of them!

Intermediates are 15-21 inches tall and a great way to extend your blooming season or squeeze an iris into a shorter front row.

Toulouse just started to open---

After a week of rain and cold, my Intermediates are blooming agin...

Sunshine Boy

Usually these gems bloom 2 weeks before my Tall Beardeds, but they got slowed down by the weather. Chatterbox

These Intermediates are shorter than the Tall Beardeds, but taller than the dwarfs to give my garden intersting height differences.

First year for this one to bloom---Hellcat

Silver Strings had the bad luck to originally bud up before my 2 late freezes. Only one bloom survived....

Moss Bay lost most of it's blooms to the frost too--just one baby left...

Raspberry Blush is incredible with big blooms & rich color.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Raspberry Blush is a great color. I really like the clearer colored ones. You have so many nice ones blooming. Glad you did not lose them all.

Susan

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

They are all beautiful, Wanda, am really enjoying this thread...I really need to get a larger variety of all sizes... some IB's and some MTB's I think... I do have a start on it, thanks to you.... My Chanted and Cornhuskers did not bloom, but they are are healthy and growing.... I believe one other one made it, maybe it was Fad that survived... I need to check...

thanks for sharing all your beautiful blooms not only in yor pics, but the plants as well....

that Raspberry Blush looks yummy!

Appleblossum Pink just started blooming today--a little late due to the frosts we had late last month.

Hi, Wanda---

thank you for posting all the pretty IBs...and your good suggestion for adding earlier color to the garden.

I would like to add a few purpley to rasberry ones to my garden too to lengthen the bloom season...do you have a favorite among yours?

thanks again. t.

So many of my Intermediates were hit hard by frost that i don't have that many to show you. Hellcat is good for a deep purple or Eleanor Roosevelt. You can't beat Raspberry Blush for a vigorous raspberry color. I'm adding LOTS of Intermediates & Dwarfs to extend my blooming period into the daffodil/tulip time. Why enjoy iris for only 2-3 weeks per year. Be sure to look at AZ Ap if you like blue--it has bloomed for 5 weeks now despite both hard frosts with 40 blooms per day!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Great thread! Thank you for sharing so many nice photos! You have some lovely IBs. I think I may need that Raspberry Blush myself.....scrumptuous color!

Thanks Wanda--I agree, why limit yourself to only a few weeks with the TB when these petite ones make a nice transition from Daffodil season... ?

I like that Rasberry Blush and will get some on order, same for your Az Ap, (although I don't understand the name!).... ;-) t.

I don't understand the name either, but an iris that blooms heavily for 5 weeks is ALWAYS welcome in my garden!

Intermediate Concoction opened late with JUST one bloom--frost got the rest.

Talk about a messed up year---Looks like Red Zinger is going to bloom soon. Early heat & late freeze makes life in my garden interesting.

All Right finally decided to bloom.

Oh, almost forgot, Low Ho Silver did a nice job of reblooming last fall & here it is again this spring!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.