How do you get the pictures on here

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

I can figure out the use of the browser before you post the thread, does it size the picture for you to make it a thumbnail?..I guess I could try and see if it works....As you can tell Im new around here...lol...Judy

Thumbnail by juttz
Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

LOL..I guess I figured it out.....Judy

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

WOW, you should made your debut with a doozy. What's it's name? I love it. How soon will you be able to put'em outside?

You dun good....

Hap

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Hap, I knew somebody was giong to ask the name..the only thing on the tag is yellow coleus and 6.95......lolol..thanks for the compliment..I love this color and Im going to use it with some other colored coleus in a container with sweet potato vines around the outside rim....if you would like to see a picture of what one looked like in past years I can post it here since I know how to do it now....judy

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Very pretty.

Albrightsville, PA(Zone 4a)

Nice one, Judy.

Grass Lake, MI(Zone 5a)

Really pretty. If it ever warms up around here, Home Depot & Lowe's last year was getting some really nice named ones in for like $4.00 for nice size plants.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

That is a good deal, Deb.

Judy, I love yours. What great colors esp. with that purple touch.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

That is real pretty.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Love how the purple and green and yellow all go together so well. Great photo! Reminds me of Color Echoes, a book by Pamela Harper and deals with putting plants together to bring out the best in each one. Coleus does it so well.

Well, helloooo Ms pirl, or am I being presumptus. We love new coleus addicts, and you definately have the symptoms, and so does Judy.
I want to see that planter when it gets planted please.

sugarweed - thanks for the welcome. We've grown coleus from purchased seed for a long time but this is the first year I ordered through the web: Glassworks. I had added a question on my order and they called within just a few hours. Then they confirm by mail to be doubly certain of the order. Love their photos. I'll have to write a review on Pamela Harper's book. She's fabulous! She's changed the way I garden and coleus is such a great plant to match up with other plants. Does anyone have a no fail method of holding them over winter? Or should I start a new thread?

My DGM always had them in the house thru the winter. Just root a good cutting in the fall. I always root mine in soil. I was amiss last year and wont make the same mistake this year. I'm not concerned though until oct.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Sugar,

I seen you say you root in soil....is it potting soil in a pot or do you put them right in the ground outside.?

Hap

PS How's it going today?

I get one of those 12 pot trays and fill it, Just clip, dip in rp and plant. I pat air holes out, wet and put where they'll catch sprinkler and under a bush. I pull em to some more light in 2 weeks and they are about ready.I love those multi-pot flats that hold a bunch.

Wichita, KS

Beautiful!!!!!

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Pirl
which Pamela Harper book are you so happy with ?
would it be ?[ Color Echoes: Harmonizing Color in the Garden ]

Jutz
your new coleus is to die for -
i think i found the name for it on a site Candy gave
edited to say
it is most likely Diane's Gold
after i looked at new leaf's version i decided it was too different then yours
[HYPERLINK@www.newleafnurseries.com]
the coleus finder has Diane's gold also at Glasshouseworks
& Glasshouseworks pict looks like your plant
[HYPERLINK@www.coleusfinder.org]

Dick

This message was edited May 9, 2005 2:03 PM

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Dick, thanks for researching this..I will keep this info since Im hoping to take cuttings this fall and try and keep it going...I love this coleus and Im so glad I found it...Judy

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Judy,

How are you going to "keep this info". I have seen others pull up threads, etc from times past. How ya done it?

Hap

Dick: Yes, THAT Pamela Harper. Lantana is a terrific plant for blending in others and coleus is fantastic.

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Pirl
then you highly reccomend this book ?

Judy
it was my pleasure
i wanted it so i had to find it :-)

Happy
at the bottom of the page click on ( watch Thread )

Dick

Strever - yes. Look for it on the used book sites. She gives the latin and common name when she writes so you won't have to put the book down (as I used to do so I could consult Hortus III). The idea of harmony is so appealing and she really has changed the way I garden. One smart lady who shares her experiences - Pamela Harper. She gardens in VA so I don't know if you can grow what she grows but the thought process is the important point.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Dick,

I do that when I'm following a thread, but what about thinking of something you read a couple of months from now?

Hap

PS Thanks for the reply.

Happy_1 - I've just been here a few days but the fear of losing something is strong so I print out pages and save them.

Northern California, CA

A couple of ways to find things:

Bookmark them (Add to Favorites on IE) so you can go back to favorite websites.

Check your My Info page linked at the top of each DG page:
It will show a link to all the threads you started. (You can choose a particular forum or all forums to show)
It will also show a link to all the posts you have made on all threads in all forums.

Go to any other member's page to see all the threads they started.(You can choose a particular forum or all forums to show) If you remember who started the thread use the member page.

Otherwise you can use the "Search" using key words to try and locate the topic:
Try the keyword "coleus" and the search will bring up over 1300 thread results.
Then limit the search for "coleus" to only the Coleus Forum and it comes up with 122 threads.

Play around with the search, you will be amazed at what you find....or don't find, but you spend hours reading things you find that you didn't know you were looking for. :-)

Happenstance is 100% right about playing with search and finding things you didn't know you were looking for! Thanks Happenstance for all the other info. I'll use it and I didn't even ask the question.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Happenstance, that exactly what I wanted to know. And as pirl said, that last sentence is more that I wanted to know and nothing but trouble....

Good Morning,

Hap

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Juttz
i went to the nursery near me to get this Coleus
what you have is not Irish sunrise
he said it is most likely Diane's Gold
after i looked at his version i decided it was too different then yours
http://www.newleafnurseries.com/clrfyfol/coleus/peticoat/pages/coleuspc.html
the coleus finder has Diane's gold also at Glasshouseworks
& their pict looks very much like your plant
http://www.coleusfinder.org/cultivar_details.php?Id=196
but i decided as long as i had driven that far i would get some coleus :-)

Dick

Thumbnail by Strever
Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Dick, mine has started to go more yellow since its not in the nursery anymore..I have it in a inside room with filtered light...I will try and take a picture of it again today if I get a chance.....Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.